FORUMS: list search recent posts

Did FCPX update break caption embedding?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Did FCPX update break caption embedding?
on Oct 23, 2019 at 4:34:02 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Oct 23, 2019 at 4:38:31 pm

I am unable to export a ProRes master with embedded 608 closed captions. I can see them in the FCPX viewer and modify as needed. I can also export a separate .scc file. However, the exported master file doesn't display captions in Switch or QT Player. This worked prior to the update.

FCPX 10.4.7
macOS 10.14.6
2013 MacPro 8-core/D500

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Did FCPX update break caption embedding?
on Oct 25, 2019 at 12:02:55 pm

And the answer is...

The project (sequence) timecode has to start at 00:00:00:00 otherwise it doesn't work. My sequence was set to start at 01:00:00:00. After modifying the sequence start back to 00:00:00:00, then closed captions were properly embedded (and visible) in the exported master file.

That doesn't appear to be documented anywhere and certainly seems like a bug to me.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 25, 2019 at 1:53:27 pm

Great find Oliver.
Is there an advantage to starting at your timecode?
I've always been at zero.
Mind you my experience with CC is mostly web-based docs.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 25, 2019 at 2:41:02 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Is there an advantage to starting at your timecode?"

It depends. This is really based on older broadcast standards and linear editing, but is often still requested by distributors.

Typically it would be a 01:00:00;00 (drop frame) start in the US and 10:00:00:00 in Europe. The idea being that bars and slate would be in the area of 00:58:00:00 to 01:00:00:00. You couldn't start before 00:00:00:00 in linear TC, since that would be "rolling across midnight".

In any case, it made timing easier for a linear editor, since the program would start at :00 (offset by 1 hour). Of course, in today's file-based world, it doesn't matter much, unless you have slates, bars, etc.

Regardless, this seems like a bug or an oversight. I'm pretty sure it worked with a 01:00:00:00 start before, but I could be wrong. It's fine in Premiere, so it appears to be an issue with the application, not the closed caption standards or anything like that.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]