FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flow Transition

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Winston A. Cely
Flow Transition
on Oct 11, 2019 at 12:19:30 pm

Hey folks, I have an interview where I used a Flow transition to cover a small jump cut. It worked perfectly! That is, it worked perfectly until I put a blank adjustment layer over the transition. I wait until I've completed all my mixing, color correction, etc before I put a blank adjustment layer over the whole project in order to use the Letterbox filter and crop my image to 2.35:1. In this project, as soon as I do that, the Flow transition simply turns into a dissolve. I turned off the adjustment layer, and it works, turn it back on and it stops working. I deleted all my render files and tried again, but no luck. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Winston A. Cely
ACTC Media Broadcasting Video Instructor
Apple Certified Editor FCPX 3

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
Re: Flow Transition
on Oct 11, 2019 at 5:10:13 pm

FYI, the workaround for this is to export out a master file of the clips (any text objects above the transition turned off) with the working Flow transition, then re-import those clips.

"Why not simply make a new compound clip," you ask? I tried that, and it gave me the same problem.

Bit of a hassle to have to export out and reimport.

Winston A. Cely

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 12, 2019 at 12:23:37 pm

I've also found the Flow transition sometimes is or just becomes a dissolve.
I use MotionVFX MorphCut instead which works as expected. Annoying that I have to depend on a similar third party effect but Apple's Flow been inconsistent for me since its release.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Oct 15, 2019 at 7:37:22 pm

Thanks for the plugin tip Craig!

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 15, 2019 at 8:39:33 pm

You're welcome of course.
I find Apple's Flow to "break" often, becoming just a dissolve.
MotionVFX MorphCut plugin works consistently.

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
on Dec 8, 2019 at 3:52:56 pm

Yes, I've had 'Flow' fail me on certain projects without any adjustment layer.

Can't work out what factor breaks it, but will look at that MorphCut as a backup so thanks for the pointer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]