FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to sync clips with the same audio on the timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny MacDonald
Is there a way to sync clips with the same audio on the timeline?
on Oct 11, 2019 at 3:40:42 am

Greetings,

I have a Multicam clip of an interview with A and B cam. Someone I'm working with however cut their selections of the interview with a low-res transcode of just the A-Cam footage instead of using the Multicam clip. Is there a way to sync all of his selections with the full multicam clip in a timeline so that I can quickly and easily find his selections? The audio waveform is the same so I'm hoping I could use that to sync.

The Multicam clip has different timecode than the transcode so I can't use that. I'm really hoping I won't manually have to watch the interview and listen for the selections because it's extremely long.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Is there a way to sync clips with the same audio on the timeline?
on Oct 13, 2019 at 12:15:24 am

I think it's possible to do this using a somewhat convoluted procedure. I think you must add and then sync the transcoded material to your existing multicam clip, then translate the clip timecode of the existing clip in the timeline to the equivalent timeline timecode of the full-res clip in the multicam.

Note you can open an existing multicam clip, at the left of the timeline click the down arrow and pick "add angle". Then drag/drop the new angle (which in this case is the low-res transcoded clip), then select that, click the down arrow at left of that lane and pick "Sync selection to monitoring angle".

After that the procedure is something like this:

1. Use skimmer to get starting timecode of parent clip of low-res clip in timeline.
2. Observe clip length in yellow numbers below viewer
3. Open multicam (MC) and skim to timecode for clip obtained in step #1. Note: it won't show the clip timecode if that's the monitoring angle, so select a different monitoring angle before skimming the clip.
4. Place marker; playhead jumps there
5. Move skimmer up so timecode from start of MC container clip displays (vs clip timecode).
6. Go back to timeline
7. In Browser, skim in MC clip to timecode obtained from step #5.
8. Mark range with length obtained from step #2. Expand view as needed using CMD + and CMD -. Use skimmer for rough position then JKL and IO keys to mark the range.
9. Select parent clip in timeline
10. Do OPT+R for replace edit of timeline clip with marked range of MC clip which contains other angles and good audio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]