FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 questions regarding SONY A6400 and FXPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Nidler
3 questions regarding SONY A6400 and FXPX
on Aug 3, 2019 at 5:15:11 pm

Hi there!

I've just bought a new camera (Sony A6400) and just started video editing. So I got three questions...

1. I set the camera to 100fps but when I start a new library/project it can only reach 60p. How so? And, does it matter?

2. I'm about to make a "B-roll"/cinematic video and record some footage in 24p and some in 100p to be able to make some scenes in good slow motion. But what if the whole project is in 60p, wouldn't that mess up half of the footage?

3. As you all know the Sony A6400 can record in 4K. But how do I switch to that? All I can change to is 1080 as far as I can see.

Thank you very much!

/Philip

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: 3 questions regarding SONY A6400 and FXPX
on Aug 5, 2019 at 10:46:30 am

High frame rates like 100fps are for slow motion. Put the clip in a standard frame rate project, like 24, 30, or 60 fps, and pick menu choice Modify>Retiming>Automatic Speed.

You can insert clips with different frame rates in the same project. They will be "conformed" to the project frame rate. However you normally don't want to mix two non-multiple frame rates if intended for standard-speed playback. E.g, don't mix 24 and 30 fps. This is because there is no perfect way to conform non-multiple frame rates.

For mixing 24 and 30 fps for normal speed playback, select the clip with a frame rate that differs from the project and use optical flow rate conforming. This is a different menu choice that optical flow retiming. In the video inspector at the bottom under "Rate Conform", pick "Optical Flow". Render that and observe the playback. There is significant CPU cost and increased render time when doing this. Therefore you ideally want to shoot the same frame rate for all cameras except for high-frame-rate cameras intended for slow motion only.

The timeline gets the frame rate of the 1st clip you insert. You thereafter cannot change it while clips are in the project. You can create a new project, pick "Use custom settings", pick the desired frame rate, then copy/paste all the clips from the old project. CMD+A in the timeline selects all clips, switch to new project timeline, CMD+V pastes them.

Return to posts index

Philip Nidler
Re: 3 questions regarding SONY A6400 and FXPX
on Aug 5, 2019 at 8:01:12 pm

[Joe Marler] "You can insert clips with different frame rates in the same project. They will be "conformed" to the project frame rate. However you normally don't want to mix two non-multiple frame rates if intended for standard-speed playback. E.g, don't mix 24 and 30 fps. This is because there is no perfect way to conform non-multiple frame rates."

Oh ok i see. But what does "non-multiple frame rates" mean?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]