FORUMS: list search recent posts

How To Create a Team Editing Workflow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Crow
How To Create a Team Editing Workflow?
on Jul 26, 2019 at 5:26:02 pm

Hi,

I am in a situation where I need to figure how best to create lots of online training content in Final Cut Pro by assembling a team of external, probably overseas-based, vendors to do the actual production work in Final Cut Pro. Of course, we want all the training videos to have a similar look and feel - in your opinion what would I need to provide to the vendors for the most efficient workflow?

Since a lot of the content is based upon the same graphic look - one thought I had was to provide them with a Final Cut Pro Library file set up to our specifications and then also a directory of graphic, video and audio assets that are typically used in the course material. The on-screen text would be provided in a Keynote, or Powerpoint or Word doc - something like that.

It occurs to me I would also need some kind of sample video to give them an idea of what we want the final product to look like and then maybe a document with our production guidelines like what Font to use, what animation styles we use to bring elements on and off screen etc.

For delivery, I would want back not only the final, approved, course video but also the FCPX Library file and all assets used to create it.

What are your thoughts on how I can avoid creating a nightmare for myself?

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
Re: How To Create a Team Editing Workflow?
on Jul 26, 2019 at 10:13:43 pm

Steve, it sounds like you have a good plan in place already and barring any other insights from others I'd say what you have in mind is a good strategy. I work with teams remotely as well as post-supervisor and editor. Aside from exchanging XMLs I:

Create a custom library called [Project name] Commons. This is a library with images, audio, compound clips, a completed sample, and other valuable projects (storylines) editors can copy/paste from.

Additionally to control some pertinent motion graphics while providing some form of flexibility for potential adjustments I make custom plugins using Apple Motion and give those to the editors as well. I make sure though that we're all placing these plugins at the host computer's drive level folder FCP X reference rather than bound to any user account. This way the plugins (effects, titles, transitions, etc) don't go offline. There are limitations to this though. Drop zone content doesnt transfer via XML.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 26, 2019 at 10:41:03 pm

Tangier, thanks for responding, good to hear that I'm not too far off base to start with my ideas...I've only edited projects solo myself so this is going to be "interesting" haha

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 26, 2019 at 10:42:48 pm

No problem. I am working on a narrative episodic drama this way and it seems to work. We do still send files to each other via Frame IO, Google Drive, etc. if we need to add additional content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]