FORUMS: list search recent posts

Browser List-view (only) shows ranges in wrong order (by duration) - My mistake: List-view Start-column missing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Esp
Browser List-view (only) shows ranges in wrong order (by duration) - My mistake: List-view Start-column missing
on May 18, 2019 at 11:48:39 am
Last Edited By David Esp on May 18, 2019 at 1:30:24 pm

ISSUE: The Browser, when in List-view, lists ranges in the wrong order - by duration instead of by the order they occur in the complete clip. In contrast, in Filmstrip-view, the same ranges are listed in their correct order.

ANSWERED: My silly mistake - hadn't used FCPX in a while, forgot sorting was by columns when in List-view. Plus working on a small screen (laptop) the columns had been scrolled-off (to the right). When I scrolled them back on, I saw that the Start (timecode) column was not even present, let alone selected for sorting. Instead the selected column was (clip) Name, which was the same for all the ranges, but regardless the sorting happened by duration. On adding back the Start column and sorting by this, the clip ranges appeared in the expected order. No bug, just my "rookie-mistake" !

I'm leaving this clarified (edited-down) version of my post in case it helps any others making the same mistake.

Fuller explanation of the original issue:

Given a series of clip-ranges (any kind, e.g. FAV, keyword, for a single footage-Clip in Browser's List-view) they appeared in the wrong order (as if shuffled). In contrast, when the Browser was put into Filmstrip view-mode, this same series of ranges appeared in the correct order.

In the List-mode situation, the order was not random - it was in order of increasing duration.

Later discovered that in List-view, where columns had been scrolled-off to the right (on a small-screen, laptop), the crucial column for determining order, namely "Start", had been disabled (was not present). However the "Duration" column was present. I guess FCPX "decided" to sort by that column - even though I had not selected it for sorting - because it was the only timecode-type column that was visible. Or maybe it was a left-over state from some previous editing session (quite a while ago) - who knows where the Duration column had (temporarily) been selected as the sort-column.

FCPX version 10.4.6
MacOS version 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]