FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPXML not linking correctly when taken back to Resolve

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Brown
FCPXML not linking correctly when taken back to Resolve
on Apr 22, 2019 at 11:05:39 pm

I've edited a feature length project originally shot on BlackMagic Cinema DNG.

We brought raw media into Resolve. Exported proxies. Edited in FCPXML.

Now am exporting the FCPXML and bringing into resolve.

In resolve, some files are linked correctly. Others are linked to random other folders. I dont think reconform even changes anything because after import it's no longer looking at the XML.

Any one else run into this?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: FCPXML not linking correctly when taken back to Resolve
on Apr 23, 2019 at 12:06:12 am

Are you letting Resolve find the clips based on the XML or are you importing the media first? I used to have a lot of issues before a colourist friend told me to always bring the media into Resolve first, then bring in the XML. I've had pretty much zero linking issues since then.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Apr 23, 2019 at 12:09:35 am

I'm importing the FCPXML into the same Resolve Project from which I exported the proxies. So the original media is already in the project.

When I import, it all seems to be fine until I actually look at the new timeline. About half the clips in the timeline are just totally wrong. The edits are all in the right place, but the actual media is totally different footage.

I don't know that much about the reconform options in Resolve, but it seems to have built a timeline with about half random clips ☹

(of course i'm supposed to deliver cut tomorrow to colorist so this is a total nightmare haha).

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 23, 2019 at 12:17:17 am

Yeah of course... if it's going to break, it's on a tight deadline...

Make triple sure you're not leaving the checkbox set for letting Resolve search for media when you're bringing the XML in because FCPX will try to hard code that into the file.

Apart from that, not sure. The only real issue I've had connecting was when the original files had been set up so that clips had duplicate file names. Left to its own devices, Resolve will tend to connect to the first file it finds with the same name, whether it's the right one or not.

It can a bit painful but Resolve's ability to reconnect manually is pretty good so as long as the original files are well organised at the Finder level, it shouldn't take too long to disconnect the wrong files and tell Resolve where to look for the right ones.

Sorry I can't help more than that...

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Apr 23, 2019 at 12:42:04 am

haha yeah always deadline. Thanks, checked all those. Gonna have to keep tinkering.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Apr 23, 2019 at 12:55:19 am
Last Edited By Francois Jean on Apr 23, 2019 at 1:04:37 am

Well if you have same name file or similar time code , this can happen you could fill in the reel number to differentiate the files , it often fixes this type of issue.

my two cents

FRANCOIS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]