FORUMS: list search recent posts

File deletion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
File deletion
on Apr 2, 2019 at 2:15:14 pm

Last night I wanted to delete an MP3 watermarked music track with the licensed (clean) WAV. I attempted to delete the MP3 file from the Finder, thus forcing FCPX to see it as missing, in order that I could relink. However, nothing that I did removed the file from FCPX. I deleted the track in the Finder, but it was still there in FCPX. I located it inside the Library package. Deleted that and relaunched, but it was still there. Relinking finally let me get the correct file, however, I'm sure the MP3 is still floating around in some hidden corner. Thoughts?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: File deletion
on Apr 2, 2019 at 2:23:50 pm

I had this happen with a png file the other day. The original png was deleted and a new one was put on the server with the exact same name - FCPX kept showing the old png (which didn't even exist anymore). I shut FCPX down and reopened it - old png was still there. Went into the library to delete the alias for it - didn't fix it.

I ended up having to import the new png and overcut it into my sequence. I never did figure it out.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2019 at 3:02:30 pm

The FCPX team tried to make a system as or more solid than Media Composer, but that is both good and bad. I think the various type of links, coupled with the same sort of file management in APFS complicates the system.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Apr 2, 2019 at 3:37:00 pm

Is it possible there is a render file reference the old file? Delete renders?

Warren Eig
O (424) 293-1164

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:13:16 pm

[Warren Eig] "Is it possible there is a render file reference the old file? Delete renders?"

Doubtful. It's audio and I don't do BG renders. But there could be some sort of BG "conform" file.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 2, 2019 at 7:09:28 pm

I've had a few instances of .mp3 files being transcoded on the fly, and found an .aif copy buried in the Library file (Optimized).

It's interesting that you've had success relinking an mp3 to a wav - I hadn't thought to try it given the stringent relinking behavior of X. Typically, I'll make the watermarked track a compound and edit with that. Then open the compound after approval and replace the mp3 with the new wav.

Doug Metz

Dalton+Anode

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2019 at 7:21:06 pm

[Doug Metz] "Then open the compound after approval and replace the mp3 with the new wav.
"

Then you have to go segment by segment and make sure to match the correct edit points. Relinking solves all of that. But yes, if you can't get relinking to work, then that's the only way.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 2, 2019 at 7:33:08 pm
Last Edited By Doug Metz on Apr 2, 2019 at 7:36:36 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Then you have to go segment by segment and make sure to match the correct edit points. Relinking solves all of that. But yes, if you can't get relinking to work, then that's the only way."

No, you don't have to check anything. That's why I edit with the compound clip, and not the original mp3. Edits all match, and you can line up the wav with the mp3 down to the sample so your cuts are truly retained.

Edit: Additionally, relinking introduces the possibility that your edits won't be correct because the wav and mp3 files may not start at exactly the same time.

Doug Metz

Dalton+Anode

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2019 at 8:00:18 pm

[Doug Metz] "That's why I edit with the compound clip"

OK, I see, you compound the track first and then edit with that as the source. I work differently. I build the edits and then compound that so I have a single edited track to length.

[Doug Metz] "your edits won't be correct because the wav and mp3 files may not start at exactly the same time"

I'm not entirely sure you'll get a relink in that situation.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 2, 2019 at 8:15:45 pm

[Doug Metz] "That's why I edit with the compound clip"

[Oliver Peters]"OK, I see, you compound the track first and then edit with that as the source. I work differently. I build the edits and then compound that so I have a single edited track to length."

I keep it together by placing the compound in a secondary storyline. Makes cross-fades and trimming nice and easy.

[Doug Metz] "your edits won't be correct because the wav and mp3 files may not start at exactly the same time"

[Oliver Peters]"I'm not entirely sure you'll get a relink in that situation."

Maybe I'll give it a go - I've only seen a few tracks that were off, and those were mostly from the same source. Still a little leery about relinking different file types though. :^)

Doug Metz

Dalton+Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]