FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shape Mask not completely blocking area

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Gross
Shape Mask not completely blocking area
on Mar 26, 2019 at 2:22:43 pm

Hi guys, new guy here.

Been using FCPX for few years but i'm still basically a newbie, as i'm one of those that use FCPX every six months only and have to re-learn everything, every time 😃

I have a lyric video in which I have a clip of someone hand writing song lyrics on an ipad, white background and black lyrics. I've successfully removed the white background via a luma keyer. There are a few spots where I'd like to remove some of the lyrics. So i added a shape mask to the color board and inverted it, but it's not 100% removing the stuff inside the mask, just making it very light. here's are some screenshots:

screenshot2019-03-26at7.08.37am.png

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Geoff

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Shape Mask not completely blocking area
on Mar 27, 2019 at 2:58:58 pm

Sounds like a setting mistake somewhere, but I couldn't say where. Something I've had to do to "airbrush" a screen flaw is, duplicate the layer, stack it above, crop it down to an area of clean white space above or below the offending line, feather the crop, move it down or up or whatever to cover the target.

A more aggressive approach might be to screen-capture the frame, take it into Photoshop or GIMP, sample the clean area and then apply it universally to create a blank full page, bring that back into FCPX and make a composite of all your needed masking against that. Or re-compose the text in Photoshop and just key the hand back in over it.

Return to posts index

Geoff Gross
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:09:35 pm

Thanks Mark - I figured out a way around it.

Just need to use the "draw mask" effect and invert the mask to completely block out the text in question. adding a shape maks to the color correction effect didn't do the trick for whatever reason.

But adding the draw masks led me down a path of chopping up the text and moving it around, which I think will result in a much cooler video in the end anyway.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Mar 27, 2019 at 7:04:31 pm
Last Edited By Doug Metz on Mar 27, 2019 at 7:09:07 pm

If the shape masks on the color board are there just to remove the words, try this:

1. Delete the masks from the color board - you can also delete the color correction if it isn't necessary to get a good key

2. For each word you want to remove, apply a Shape Mask from the Effects browser to the clip. Place it under the Luma Key in the Effects stack, and invert it. Resize to fit. In this case, you'll probably want the Feathering control set to 0.

Doug Metz

Dalton+Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]