FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Levels in FCPX 10.4.6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nishi Sharma
Audio Levels in FCPX 10.4.6
on Mar 24, 2019 at 6:38:42 pm

I find that if I import an audio clip where the audio is peaking up to 0db (as displayed in Audacity or Twisted Wave sound editing software) into FCPX, the sound levels shown by level meters within FCPX read peak up to -6db.

The same thing happens when I import video clips from my Sony XDCAM Z280 or Canon C100 MK2. The levels displayed in FCPX are around 6db lower than the levels displayed while filming.

What's the reason for this discrepancy? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Nishi Sharma
Re: Audio Levels in FCPX 10.4.6
on Mar 24, 2019 at 6:50:36 pm

I should have mentioned that the levels are consistent in the Browser with external sound editors. They only drop by 6db when I import the clip in Timeline.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Mar 26, 2019 at 11:27:49 am

While not an answer to your question, I have noticed that when recording VO while using X( usb audio from mix pre 6 with a Sanken mic) that no matter how I try to boost audio levels with the mixer, the program always seems to have its thumb on the scales and will prevent recording audio that comes any where near 0 level . Seems like x has a built in limiter that is buried somewhere and inaccessible.
X will allow you to put normally recorded audio in the time line and stack gain on it till it starts to clip, but its dead set against you recording it that way.
I could be that you are seeing a similar version of this with the level difference between browser and time line.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 26, 2019 at 4:50:18 pm

How are your clips setup before adding to a timeline? Stereo? Mono? What is their pan?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]