Curious about this bug. I vaguely recall something like this a long time ago. Wondering if it's something Apple never got around to fixing or if it's new. Here's the issue.
I have a basic 2D title (slate) as the first clip on my timeline in the storyline (not as a connected title). I have a bunch of projects (timelines) that are all like this. When I share (export) a ProRes master file, a couple of the files export with the text in the slate changed. The others are fine. Sometimes a space is missing between words, sometimes the end of a line is cut off. These all look fine within FCPX and during playback in the viewer. The behavior is repeatable on these projects with the issue.
This seems to be related to a copy & paste, but I'm not sure. I can remove the problematic slate and then copy & paste a different one from another project, edit the text, and the export is then fine. Also, when the title is a connected clip (instead of in the storyline) at the head of the timeline, no such issues.
First I usually render and then watch it through in full quality without any playback issues for a QC check. But also, I’m likely going to output another version soon after or at some point, so it’s just more efficient. if it takes 5 min to render a timeline, might as well just do it the one time, and then output is like 30 sec instead of 5 min every time you catch something. I’ll also render right before audio mix so I’m not dealing with dropped frames and such and get that buttery smooth playback.
Interesting. I'm never felt the need to do that. I do understand that if you export using the renders, it basically takes those render files and effectively does a "file copy" for those sections. However, it has always been my understanding that if your export setting doesn't match the render format, then it re-renders on export anyway. For example, if you render to ProRes, but export a master file as ProResHQ, then it's starting from scratch anyway. At least that's my understanding of it.
Could this be some sort of font conflict or issue? Have you checked to see if you can any font conflicts in font book?
I know there was some esoteric thing about a non video element being the first element at the start of a timeline, as the frame rate of the generator or whatever was not the same frame rate as the timeline, but I haven’t seen or heard of that causing issues for a long while now.
It’s weird that you can fix this problem with a few simple workarounds. Have you tried deleting the cache on the Project(s) where this behavior is exhibited?
[Jeremy Garchow]"I know there was some esoteric thing about a non video element being the first element at the start of a timeline, as the frame rate of the generator or whatever was not the same frame rate as the timeline, but I haven’t seen or heard of that causing issues for a long while now."
It does seem to be related to this and somehow copy & paste. I started by inserting a title at the head of the timeline and then typing in the text. Standard fonts recognized by FCPX. Copy & paste/insert that into the next timeline, revise text, and so on. The issue seems to be with the first title or each subsequent new title inserted from scratch (though not always). If I replaced it with one of the other titles and modified the replacement, the situation was fixed. This doesn't seem to occur when the title is connected.
Unfortunately, not a consistent issue. No renders, haven't deleted any cache, as I'm done with the job now. After the first set of issues, I just used connected titles on everything else.