FORUMS: list search recent posts

Custom LUTs and FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Odille Grouillard
Custom LUTs and FCPX
on Feb 21, 2019 at 5:40:29 pm

Hello,

I was given a custom LUT by the DoP a couple of days ago (a .aml file) and can't seem to figure out how to import it and apply it to the footage. I've tried 'Add Custom Camera LUT' in settings and using mLuta and neither is recognizing this .aml file. Any idea what I should do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-O

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Custom LUTs and FCPX
on Feb 21, 2019 at 7:00:37 pm

I assume the footage is from an Arri camera? If so:

Download the Arri Color Tool.
https://www.arri.com/en/learn-help/learn-help-camera-system/tools/arri-colo...

Open the footage in the Arri Color Tool and you can apply the .aml file to it. Then you can export a LUT from the Arri Color Tool, which FCPX can use.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Odille Grouillard
on Feb 22, 2019 at 12:57:03 am

Thanks Jeff,

Do you know which File Format, Number of Meshpoints, and which Color Space I'm meant to Convert to? And whether or not I'm supposed to Include CDL Parameters?

Sorry for needing a walking through, they really want this LUT in the first cut. And sorry for the double posting!

Thanks for your help,
Odille

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 21, 2019 at 7:14:46 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Feb 21, 2019 at 7:16:54 pm

A .aml file is an ARRI look file, a LUT designed to be loaded into an ARRI camera and can't be used anywhere else.

The same colour information is saved as metadata with each clip so you can either use the ARRI Colour Tool (available on the ARRI web site) to load the clip, apply the lut and the export a .cube LUT or Davinci Resolve can apply the look from the metadata, and I assume you could export the .cube version from there (but I've never actually tested that).

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Odille Grouillard
on Feb 21, 2019 at 11:53:44 pm

Thanks Jeff,

Do you know which File Format, Number of Meshpoints, and which Color Space I'm meant to Convert to? And whether or not I'm supposed to Include CDL Parameters?

Sorry for needing a walking through, they really want this LUT in the first cut.

Thanks for your help,
Odille

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 22, 2019 at 1:12:52 am

I'm not at my editing computer but from memory, inside the arri colour tool, choose export LUT (L, I think), then I usually choose Davinci Resolve as the format because that's fairly generic and leave everything else at the defaults. That should give you a working LUT for FCPX.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Odille Grouillard
on Feb 22, 2019 at 1:54:09 am

Thanks Jeff,

Their custom LUT looks a lot like the default ARRI log C (3D LUT) but I guess this is what they wanted.

I just wanted to thank you again. You've been a lot of help.

Odille

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]