FORUMS: list search recent posts

copy project to a diff hd fails... media files are not copied.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Friis
copy project to a diff hd fails... media files are not copied.
on Feb 6, 2019 at 3:34:01 pm

I'm trying to copy a project to a different hd (let's call it B hd), problem is that in the 'original media' folder on the hd that I copy to, all I find is 'alias' files (movie files with a 'hook arrow' showing that these are merely paths to the files). What I do is: I open the existing library, highlight the project I want to copy, then I choose 'new/library' and save the new library on the B hd. Then I drag the highlighted projected and drop it in the new library. I say yes to including optimised and proxy media. When I've seen this done elsewhere, there's a process line in the 'media management' in background tasks. In my case it's 'thumbnails and waveforms' that is active. Is it a setting in my fcpx setup, perhaps?
THANKS.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: copy project to a diff hd fails... media files are not copied.
on Feb 6, 2019 at 6:00:06 pm

[Christian Friis] "in the 'original media' folder on the hd that I copy to, all I find is 'alias' files (movie files with a 'hook arrow' showing that these are merely paths to the files). "

After the copy, you must select the destination library, then in Inspector press "Consolidate".

However the best practice is don't drag or copy bare clips or projects across libraries but do it inside an event. Sam Mestman discusses this from 06:30 to 11:00 in the below video, but you may want to watch Sam's whole talk from 02:00 to 11:00. He demonstrates this on a Lumaforge NAS but it also applies to direct attached storage.

https://hazu.io/pixelcorps/fcvug-7

Return to posts index

Christian Friis
Re: copy project to a diff hd fails... media files are not copied.
on Feb 6, 2019 at 9:46:45 pm

Hey Joe,
Thanks very much, that did the trick. Looking forward to watching the video - thanks a lot again!
Christian.

http://www.oddresort.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]