FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making compound clips from longer clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
Making compound clips from longer clips
on Jan 14, 2019 at 6:28:31 pm

Perhaps there is a different way to approach this workflow.

In having to make quite a number of compound clips (subclips in avid or premiere), each time I make a compound clip the selection shifts to the compound clip in the browser. So, I must find and select the original clip again to scan and make my next compound clip. When you get to dozens of original clips being made into many, many compound clips, it's a lot of extra clicking up and down the browser to return to the original clip I'm working from..ya know..more clicks more time thing.

In Premiere the selection in the browser stays on the original clip and the subclip is sent to the browser..no extra searching and clicking...(no, don't tell me to switch to Premiere, I have to use both for various reasons)

My thought bubble was "there may be a different way to approach creating many compound clips with less searching, clicking, etc...??" end thought bubble.

Any ideas would be groovy.

John Watts
Premiere Pro Version 12.1.2 Build 69
2017 iMac (Retina 5K 27 inch) 1TB SSD
4GHZ Intel Core i7
32GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Making compound clips from longer clips
on Jan 14, 2019 at 6:38:43 pm

Is there a reason you aren't using Favorites or Keywords to make your subclips, as opposed to compound clips? They are much more flexible and I believe will better achieve what you're looking for (i.e. creating subclips in FCPX, which technically don't exist in the program).

FCPX operates quite differently in a lot of ways than Premiere or Avid, and subclipping or marking selects is one of them. Rather than creating a subclip, mark your I/O on the section you like and with hit F to mark it as a favorite (you'll see a green line appear on the top of the footage in the browser to show it's a favorite range), or hit Cmd+K and add a keyword to that section. Then you can select the clip and hit Ctrl+F to only show favorites and it's like you're you're looking at a bin of subclips. Or click on the keyword and you'll see the sections you marked with that particular keyword.

The limitation you might run into in FCPX is that favorite ranges and keyword ranges cannot overlap and still be discrete. So if you mark sections 2-4 seconds and make it a favorite, then want to also mark a range from 3 - 5 seconds as a favorite the overlap will make the favorite merge into one long favorite from 2-5 seconds. The same thing happens with keywords. The way you get around it is to mark the range from 2-4 seconds as Keyword1 (or whatever keyword you want) and the range from 3-5 seconds as Keyword2. Then you can select both Keyword1 and Keyword2 to show them as separate subclips, even though there is overlap. It's not elegant, but it's possible.

Does that help at all?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

John Watts
on Jan 14, 2019 at 7:04:15 pm

It's a beautiful thing! Love this much better. Thank you from the bottom of my brain!

John Watts
Premiere Pro Version 12.1.2 Build 69
2017 iMac (Retina 5K 27 inch) 1TB SSD
4GHZ Intel Core i7
32GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 14, 2019 at 7:20:35 pm

Glad it helped!

I do wish that FCPX had a true "subclip" option, and I've submitted feature requests for it to Apple, but I don't think they'll ever actually implement it. Using multiple keywords is about the closest as I've gotten to replicating the subclip functionality in Premiere/Avid, where you can have a subclip with overlapping media from another subclip but they remain discrete clips, without the software merging them into one clip.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]