FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to change viewer window size (on second display)?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Sandeen
How to change viewer window size (on second display)?
on Jan 6, 2019 at 5:15:47 pm

Hi,

I've searched for this multiple times, but I must be using the wrong words since I can't find the solution. So, pardon the amateur question.

I'd like to have the video viewer on my second display, but not as full-screen. In other words, I'd like to see the display's desktop (neutral grey or white) around the video viewer.

How can I do that? Or is it impossible?

Actually, ideally I'd have the video viewer on the main display with timeline, but with neutral grey around it. But I guess that's too much to hope for.

The problem I'm trying to fix is that I almost always make videos too dark initially. Only when I see the video on a webpage (with white background), I see how dark it really is. I'm sure a better editor simply learns to make the adjustments well even when surrounded with dark grey in FCPX. But expecting me to learn to do that is rather optimistic. Or perhaps there are other tricks more experienced editors use—and I'm very curious to hear them.

Thank you!
Peter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: How to change viewer window size (on second display)?
on Jan 6, 2019 at 5:27:02 pm

FCPX is pretty limited in how you customize the UI. You are limited to what the designers have permitted, so it’s not as freeform as Premiere. That being said there are still quite a few possible combinations.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/fcp-x-screen-layouts/

Resizing the viewer really means resizing that whole panel. This will depend on which monitor is the secondary and how you have monitoring set up in the OS. If a window can be resized, it’s just a matter of grabbing the corner of the panel and resizing it, resulting in the desktop around it. But not all combinations allow this.

Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 6, 2019 at 5:32:14 pm

One other thought. If you have a third screen, like a high quality consumer flat panel, you can use the Mac’s HDMI to feed it video. FCPX will use the AV output to use this display for video without the need for any third party hardware. This may give you a better idea of how your finished video looks on TV, which might help to get your levels right. That, and using the FCPX video scopes.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Peter Sandeen
on Jan 12, 2019 at 1:59:11 pm

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for the suggestions. I ended up making my second screen's desktop image just a while solid and moving the main window to that screen (and resizing the application window, so it's framed with the white desktop). Not an elegant solution, but the best I could think of based on what you suggested. It works, so I'm grateful.

Thank you!
Peter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 12, 2019 at 2:02:13 pm

You are welcome. Glad something worked out, even if a bit imperfect ☺

- Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]