FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Strategy for triming adjusting timing of edits?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Smith
Best Strategy for triming adjusting timing of edits?
on Dec 29, 2018 at 10:59:51 pm

I have a short (2 min) music cut that’s more than roughed in but still needs timing of cuts to music. The structure of the project is gap clip in primary to which are connected music sections and video clips are all connected to the primary. If I start making trims to video, everytime I trim a clip, I end up with a gap which results in a bunch of fiddling to close up.
What I did was select all connected video clips and made them a story line which allowed me to select edges of adjacent clips and adjust edit points of adjoining clips at the same time to match up with music. this way I am not making changes that ripple the timeline making it longer or shorter or throwing other edits further down the time line out of kilter. If I overwrote all connected clips to the primary the same thing would be possible .
My question: Is there a better way to handle this situation where minor timing changes are being made without affecting over length and timing of the project?

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
Re: Best Strategy for triming adjusting timing of edits?
on Jan 2, 2019 at 12:44:11 am

Hey Mark...

I usually connect my music to the first frame of a gap clip and then blade edits to the gap to rough in some "timed" edits. Then I find selects and drop them on top of those "dummy" clips using the "replace from start" feature. From there, it sounds like you might want to try utilizing the "T" command a bit more. It will let you slip/slide/roll footage and edit,, etc. - depending if you select both sides of an edit, on the clip itself, etc.. You can also try "lifting from storyline" sometime. This will fill in the clip with a gap in the storyline, leaving all else in place. So many of these things are second nature in my workflow now, so I'm unsure if I'm even using the correct FCPX terminology. Lots of good tutorials from MacBreak Studio online.

All the best and Happy New Year...

Mike

Lead Producer Detroit Red Wings / Olympia Entertainment

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
Re: Best Strategy for triming adjusting timing of edits?
on Jan 2, 2019 at 1:39:03 am

I usually do the same - start out with a gap, pin music to first frame in the time line and start be connecting video clips. since at this stage I’m shuffling clips around a lot, I leve them connected, but as things start to settle in i’ll overwrite them to the gap clip in the time line, lock in music edits by making all music into a compound clip, amd proceed to fine tune.

In the case of the latest edit I made the connected clips a secondary and did more advanced trimming there before eventually overwriting to the primary.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]