FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finding correct thread on FAVORITES

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Schreck
Finding correct thread on FAVORITES
on Dec 17, 2018 at 6:18:31 pm

I'm using FCPX, latest update as of 12/2018, on an iMac Pro.

Shot a concert with two cameras, one facing the conductor so I can cut away from the group occasionally. I've selected several ranges as favorites in this B-roll and have synced the B-roll under the master footage in the storyline.

I'm trying to find my favorites within the clips that I've pulled down. Can someone point me to a forum discussion on this? I really don't want to have to re-sync every cutaway!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Finding correct thread on FAVORITES
on Dec 17, 2018 at 8:16:04 pm

Did you filter the browser?

Return to posts index

Paul Schreck
on Dec 17, 2018 at 9:31:45 pm

I tried, but "favorites" hasn't brought me to what I'm looking for. Most often is how to use FCPX to do an autosync.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Dec 18, 2018 at 7:40:09 pm

[Paul Schreck] "I've selected several ranges as favorites in this B-roll and have synced the B-roll under the master footage in the storyline. I'm trying to find my favorites within the clips that I've pulled down. "

The concept with FCPX is you do all the keywording and rating in the Event Browser, and only put on the timeline a highly filtered subset. From that standpoint the timeline isn’t the place to stack lots of “trial” material (Auditions is a limited exception). Probably for this reason, favorited and keyworded ranges by design aren’t carried forward to the timeline.

However I think it’s possible to determine a favorited or keyworded range on the timeline. You can create a smart collection which filters on used media ranges (hence on the timeline) and rating=favorite or keyword=whatever. Then you can search for that clip using the timeline index. It’s not ideal but it should work.

Return to posts index

Paul Schreck
on Dec 18, 2018 at 8:53:27 pm

Thanks Joe.

I've selected all my favorites in the Events Browser, but when I bring those down to the storyline I have to sync each one to the master clip, which is a pain. I've tried using Final Cut's sync feature by selecting the favorited material and the master clip, but it stacks all the favorites at the beginning of the new compound clip even though I've selected to use audio for the sync.

I'll try your suggestion.

Paul

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Dec 18, 2018 at 11:37:50 pm

[Paul Schreck] "I've selected all my favorites in the Events Browser, but when I bring those down to the storyline I have to sync each one to the master clip, which is a pain"

OK, I thought the only problem was finding the favorited ranges within the timeline -- but you have unfinished syncing work to do.

Normally you want to do most of that in the Event Browser. The best way was probably using a multicam clip -- even if only a single audio and video track. You have two cameras, and maybe external audio? Then *after* creating the full-length MC clip you favorite or keyword *that* -- not the parent clips. It's also useful to reject the parent clips and leave the "hide rejected" filter on to make sure they don't accidentally get used.

Then you skim the MC clip in the Event Browser with the Angle Viewer enabled, and add ranges from the MC clip to the timeline. For a music program if you want unbroken full-duration material, add the entire MC clip and use the Angle Editor in the timeline to cut between cameras. I know at this point that doesn't help -- I'm just stating the preferred procedure.

The dilemma is once you have material on the timeline, there's no audio sync mechanism -- except for a multicam clip which can be opened and clips selectively added or re-synced. Yet you have already favorited parent clips of a potential multicam, and those are on the timeline, but ratings/keywords are not carried forward into an MC clip. IMO you have stumbled into a common situation and the available FCPX docs and tutorials do not adequately warn against this.

Here is one possible way to fix it (I'm not saying it's perfect):

(1) Create a proper MC clip using the full length of both camera angles and external audio. Note: before creating or syncing a multicam, you must label all the shots from each camera or recorder in the inspector. Procedure: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/49568#49574

(2) Open the MC clip, open the Angle Viewer and verify everything is in sync.

(3) In the left of the timeline, click the down arrow (any track) and pick "Add Angle".

(4) In the Event Browser find all your favorites from one particular camera. If during import you used the FCPX preference "assign keywords from folder" and if your folders were named by camera, this is easy. If you didn't do that, you may be able to sort by filename. If your cameras have similar filenames, you'll have to visually identify the favorites from a given camera.

(5) Add all the favorites (or at least a batch of them) from a given camera to the new angle you created in the MC clip. You can drag and drop them from the Event Browser to the new angle in the MC clip.

(6) Set the monitoring angle in the MC clip by clicking on the monitor icon at the left of the timeline. For sync purposes this is normally the track with good audio, or a continuous audio-only track.

(7) In the angle you just added favorites to, select all those if not already selected. At the left of that angle in the timeline pick "sync selection to monitoring angle". Each favorite clip should be individually synced to the audio of the monitoring angle. Use the Angle Viewer to verify the sync

(8) Repeat the above steps for the favorites from the other camera. Add those to another angle you created, then select and sync them to the monitoring angle.

(9) At this point the favorites in your MC will be redundant to the full-duration synced A/V tracks. If your newly-synced favorites in the MC give complete coverage you can disable the full-length tracks with the V key. If the favorites do not give complete coverage you can add that MC clip to a timeline and use the Angle Editor in that new timeline to pick what angle to show for how long.

If this doesn't work, there is another procedure for manually matching each favorite range via timecode using a three-point edit to an MC clip but I won't list it here as this post is already long enough.

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Dec 19, 2018 at 5:16:31 pm
Last Edited By Gregor Queck on Dec 19, 2018 at 5:29:09 pm

The third tip will work for you (Multicam without Multicam’ or ‘How to get your favs on the timeline – sync’ d):

https://www.provideocoalition.com/day-15-28daysofquicktips-2018-reader-fina...

”Conversations don’t have to be easy to be worthwhile”
Jordan Peterson

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Dec 19, 2018 at 8:24:34 pm

That was an interesting approach, thanks for sharing that. However he describes "only your best handheld/gimbal bits", then says "pull clip to the timeline...sync by waveform". In the timeline there is no way to sync by waveform except visually, so this would only seem practical if the gimbal and handheld cams were running continuously. In all the documentaries I've edited, the gimbal and handheld cams are running start/stop, plus they usually only have low-quality audio. Visually waveform matching one long clip with low quality audio isn't that hard -- eventually somebody will slam a door or something. But visually waveform matching a bunch of short clips with low quality audio is very difficult.

I think in Paul's case his cameras are running continuously, so this method of using timeline markers on the favorite ranges could work. It's worth a try.

The developers of the MergeX utility are working on an upgraded version which could take new clips (maybe favorite ranges) added after the timeline is edited, then synchronize them on the timeline. They don't have a release date for this version, but the current version is quite useful in other ways: http://www.merge.software/#mergex

Until that is available, the best approach is probably sync the material in a multicam first, mark favorites and keyword ranges on the multicam -- NOT the parent clips -- then add those multicam ranges to the timeline. Within a multicam clip you can't favorite an individual camera angle, only the range. However it's visually obvious to most editors why the favorite range was marked. In list view the multicam favorite could be renamed to say cam1 or cam2; not sure how practical that is since it's only usable in list view.

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Dec 19, 2018 at 10:14:54 pm

It should/will work as Paul has the synced clips already in the timeline. Just activate snapping and pull the clips with markers in the Timeline, snap to the identical clips, do the rest.... can't imagine any problems 😃

”Conversations don’t have to be easy to be worthwhile”
Jordan Peterson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]