FORUMS: list search recent posts

Turnover to Protools sound post when my picture and sound files don’t have a name reference.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shelley O'Neil
Turnover to Protools sound post when my picture and sound files don’t have a name reference.
on Nov 20, 2018 at 7:22:55 am

I’ve edited a feature film (100 mins) and have used X2Pro for turnover to a sound studio who use Protools. We’ve hit a problem… the naming of the video clips doesn't correlate to the naming of the audio files; there was no consistent naming system between the DOP and Sound person.

When I was editing I used the clapper slate to synch sound and pictures then created synchronised clips. I added the scene and take number to the name fcpx gave to the synchronised clips (to provide myself with a visual reference). But this name doesn’t show in the EDL the sound studio are using. Therefor they don't know what take is used of the picture and in turn how that corresponds to the audio files in the timeline. This means that, and I quote; “yes, it is synced, however when overlaps occur we can't readily determine which is the real sync (the one that is "actually" sync of the picture). Dialogue editors are responsible for cleaning up the sync slates so that they are available in the final mix and can be used or referenced by the fx editors…. Similarly, we can't look up take 2 or 3 of the scene as we can't tell what scene or take it is from the picture or from the audio clips. Hence if a word is mumbled or distorted for any reason, finding an alternative is like searching for a needle in a haystack.”

When I first started creating synchronised clips I was also adding the audio clip name to the (now very long) clip name, I could do that throughout (aaargh) if there were a way to provide that naming system to Protools.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Turnover to Protools sound post when my picture and sound files don’t have a name reference.
on Nov 20, 2018 at 9:29:34 pm

Names that you add/change in FCPX have nothing to do with the media file names. These are not altered. To do a proper turnover to sound post using Pro Tools, you will need to generate an AAF or OMF file. This will require X2Pro third-party software.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
Re: Turnover to Protools sound post when my picture and sound files don’t have a name reference.
on Nov 22, 2018 at 5:35:30 pm

The OP states they did use X2Pro to generate the AAF.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 22, 2018 at 10:13:24 pm

[Jiri Fiala] "The OP states they did use X2Pro to generate the AAF."

Oops. You are right. I missed that.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 21, 2018 at 1:39:53 pm

What are the audio clips named?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 21, 2018 at 1:41:01 pm

The original files, that is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]