on Nov 13, 2018 at 4:50:44 pm
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Nov 13, 2018 at 4:56:45 pm

My organization scheme:

EntireNationEdit_FCPx Library

Seagate14Tb-hdd1 < event #1
Seagate14Tb-hdd2 < event #2
Seagate14Tb-hdd3 < event #3
Seagate14Tb-hdd4 < event #4

The workflow also is all proxy-based. Majority of the edits are done outside the studio w/ out the original hdds. So it's very important that each event can be relinked when back at the studio with all the hdds reconnected. Organizing by hdd makes it very efficient to reconnect. Putting raw files on event #3 hdd3 when it should be in hdd1 is not good. That's why I want everything to be organized properly based on all assets stored on a hdd. To make matter more complex, a lot of these edits were done on location. Typically I would import clips on location and perform in/out and favorites marks. For that I would add another temporary event named ON-LOCATION-1, ON-LOCATION-2. Then I would simply drag the entire temp events to corresponding event #1-4 and it would merge correctly. But there are times where mistakes are made on the field and the raw files are not in the correct event. This is where I'm looking for a way make it work w/ having to spend days remarking in/out & favorites.

I have lots of clips in event #3 and want to move selected clips into event #1.
I couldn't figure out how to move a selection of keywords that has in/out, range, favorite marked to another event in the library. I dragged the keywords and only the keywords showed to the new event but not the actual clips.
I can move the entire event #3 into event #1. But that will mess up organization by hdd because event #3 will all be gone and only event #1 will exist. Just want only selected clips from event #3 into event #1. If I reimport the clips from the raw footage hdds, the in/out, favorites, LUT, etc. are all gone. Thinking of selective XML export. Is there a way to make this work?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Moving selected clips to a different Event in the same library is not working
on Nov 13, 2018 at 6:21:12 pm

Select Event 3. Select the clips you want to move to Event 1. Drag them to Event 1. Any keywords, LUTs, favorites, etc... that were applied to those clips when they were in Event 3 will carry over to Event 1.

Selecting just the keywords in Event 3 won't work, because FCPX thinks you're just wanting to move the keywords. But if you drag clips that have keywords on them in Event 3 and you drop them into Event 1 you will see those keywords show up in Event 1. Also, you cannot select a bunch of clips in Event 3 and drag them a keyword in Event 1. You need to drag it directly to Event1.

Try the above and let me know if it works. It should. If it doesn't, there's must be something else going on.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
Re: Moving selected clips to a different Event in the same library is not working
on Nov 16, 2018 at 6:24:31 am

This works. Thanks for the tip.

Previously I had to export the entire library as XML. Make a new library. Import that newly created XML. Delete unwanted events and keywords. Then move all that to another library. What huge time waster.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]