FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Archives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Robinson
Camera Archives
on Oct 20, 2018 at 11:03:23 pm

I created camera archives on location to a poratble drive. I now would like to import selection ranges as proxies. My library is on a Thunderbolt RAID. My import preferences are, leave files in place and generate proxy. Everytime I import optimised media is generated in the libray, then it generates the proxy. This is filling up HD space.

I would like to edit with proxies then generate optimised media of the project only upon completing the edit.

On import how to generate proxy media of a selection range without generating optimised media ?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Camera Archives
on Oct 21, 2018 at 2:17:08 am

You can’t.

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Oct 23, 2018 at 12:38:32 pm

You should be able to generate proxies without generating optimized media. You can either do this upon Import, or later by right-clicking the media in the Browser and selecting Transcode Media. Optimized and Proxy are different selections.

What Jeremy is referring to is a proxy/optimized option for just a media range. FCPX doesn't work like that--at least in most scenarios. Larry Jordan has an article discussing how this works:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-import-clips-vs-import-clip-ranges/

Might be something there that will aid your workflow.

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 23, 2018 at 3:28:57 pm

[Joby Anthony Jr] "You should be able to generate proxies without generating optimized media. "

While this is true, you cannot generate proxy media without original media. With something like a camera archive, which is basically a disk image, FCPX will rewrap the media to .mov, and then make a proxy file from the .mov, with means you now have two copies of the media, one of the 'original' or rewrapped media, and one of the proxy.

You cannot simply generate a proxy only copy of the media upon import from a camera archive, especially with formats that need to be rewrapped.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Oct 23, 2018 at 8:51:19 pm

Thanks Jeremy for the clarification; you're right (obviously). I wasn't thinking in terms of a proxy only workflow straight out of the Camera Archive. I guess to do that, you'd have to use an external transcoding workflow outside FCPX.

In our workflow, we only keep the Camera Archive as a backup, allowing FCPX to do the rewrap and working with that media for the rest of the project (and making proxies/optimized as needed--and throwing that away at project's end for archiving).

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]