FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update FCPX to 10.4.3 from 10.0.9 - Need a fix ASAP please!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Townsend
Update FCPX to 10.4.3 from 10.0.9 - Need a fix ASAP please!
on Oct 19, 2018 at 5:36:53 pm

I need some help ASAP on this one!

I just upgraded the firmware on my MacPro (making it a 2010 MacPro5,1 instead of a 2009 MacPro 4,1) to allow the HIgh Sierra upgrade. Everything is installed and updated. Now I need to update FCPX from 10.0.9 to 10.4.3, but can't seem to make it work. My older FCPX version (10.0.9) has the greyed out line through it in the dock and in Finder, I assume indicating it is incompatible with the OSX.

How do I get this updated? I can't find anywhere an in between version to step up to, and when I click Update for FCPX 10.4.3 in the App Store, the wheel spins forever and nothing happens.

Help!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Update FCPX to 10.4.3 from 10.0.9 - Need a fix ASAP please!
on Oct 19, 2018 at 6:14:18 pm

This will help you:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202826

Return to posts index

David Townsend
on Oct 20, 2018 at 12:19:18 am

This will help you:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202826

WellI I tried that, but when I did the download and install for FCPX Trial 10.2.3, it installed fine but when I tried to open it it said that version isn't compatible with High Sierra. This is maddening! Any other suggestions for my next course of action?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 20, 2018 at 2:55:51 am

So you have any other macs that don’t have high Sierra?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 20, 2018 at 10:19:29 am

Delete FCPX entirely, go to Purchases in the App store and just reinstall it! If you still get the spinning wheel then it's an app store problem and you should contact Apple support

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 20, 2018 at 12:36:03 pm

He still needs the demo to open his old projects/events unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 20, 2018 at 2:25:11 pm

Wont the updated version just update his old projects?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 20, 2018 at 2:37:49 pm

Not from 10.0.9 (pre 10.1 Libraries).

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 20, 2018 at 2:56:03 pm

Of course, I forgot there was a time without libraries!

Return to posts index

David Townsend
on Oct 20, 2018 at 10:29:55 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes it appears the only way to update the old projects from 10.0.9 is to install the 10.2.3 trial version on an old OS X boot drive, update the files, then reopen the latest version and import the updated libraries.....I'll just do that in all this spare time I've got. 😉

So pissed I have to jump through these ridiculous hoops to get this done, and I'll pay attention to updates so I don't get burned again.

At least they didn't make me pay for a full version again. Gee thanks Apple.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2018 at 2:11:26 pm

[David Townsend] "So pissed I have to jump through these ridiculous hoops to get this done"

Honestly? Not updating for over five years, meaning skipping nearly TWENTY versions and you expect it work with just a few clicks? Sure, might be a bit more than your average app, but five years without a single update? 🤨

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 22, 2018 at 5:06:15 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "ou expect it work with just a few clicks? "

To be fair - it would just be a few clicks in any other NLE.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2018 at 5:32:01 pm

[Michael Hancock] "To be fair - it would just be a few clicks in any other NLE."

To be fair… while a few others may or may not have INSTALLED with just a few clicks, after a firmware, an OS, AND an app update all on top of each other, for the first time in over five years? I somehow doubt any would RUN even remotely (as) smoothly right off the bat (or ever do, with or without updates). Assuming they (certain ones in particular) were even "certified" for any or all of the above to begin with. 😏

- RK

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 22, 2018 at 7:08:52 pm

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

The OP wants to open an old FCPX project in the newest version of FCPX. They can't. Instead, they have to install an old version of FCPX on an old OS, update the project, then transfer that over to another OS to open and update it in the newest FCPX.

My point is that in any other NLE you would just open the old project in the newest version of the software and start working. I guess I didn't make that clear?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 22, 2018 at 8:14:25 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "And my point is, that if he had done this even so much as ONE, maybe even two years ago, instead of waiting more than FIVE, we wouldn't be having this conversation. "

Which doesn't help the OP at all, so why post it? It's too late for him to take your advice now, so why not do what others have done and post an actual solution, rather than admonish him for not updating sooner? If you're wanting to direct blame at someone (which is a weird thing to want to do when you could be helping), why not admonish Apple for making his situation such a nuisance to remedy? Especially when it's not an issue with any other NLE software?

[Robin S. Kurz] "Never mind that it's actually a good not bad thing that FCP is constantly updated to take advantage of the most current and powerful frameworks… and others don't for years to come. "

That's an interesting way to look at it. I wouldn't consider Apple to be a gold standard in "constant" updates, but to each his own. I'd prefer they operate more like Blackmagic, personally.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 22, 2018 at 8:51:37 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Which doesn't help the OP at all, so why post it? It's too late for him to take your advice now, so why not do what others have done and post an actual solution, rather than admonish him for not updating sooner? "

A wonderful reminder that this a HELP forum rather than a SCOLD forum. It's helpful once to remind people that if you want to live in Apple's world, it's wise to remember that Apple has built that world around regular updates, with consequences for people who don't stay on the train.

But only once. After that, it's just noise. People should feel free to continue to add any actual insight to David's situation (which has now in fact been remedied), but we've got the scolding base covered for now.

Regards,

Tim Wilson
Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 22, 2018 at 8:19:10 pm

[David Townsend] "Wow. Apparently I've touched a few nerves here. I get it, I'll update."

Sorry to take your thread off the rails.

In the future, I do recommend keeping an eye on forums like this one to be more aware of situations like this. That way, if they release another update that requires a huge update to all of your projects you'll know to either update sooner or at the very least download and archive the version that will bring your projects forward.

Good luck with all the updates!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

David Townsend
on Oct 22, 2018 at 8:42:14 pm

On that topic, I may be under-utilizing a notification setting somewhere that tells me when there's an update, like you get for OSX or iOS. Or would I only be able to get that notification when I open the FCPX app?

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Oct 23, 2018 at 12:25:09 pm

Updates should show up in the App Store, but there very well could be times when an update wouldn't show if it wasn't compatible with your current OS. For example, I believe FCPX 10.4 requires OS 10.13. So it's one of those things where you kind of have to keep an eye on both. In my situation, I'm in a corporate environment that has a desktop image managed at the IT level well-beyond my control. So my App Store updates are turned off. That means I have to occasionally manually check for updates. But I do try and stay up-to-date through a few industry newsletters and generally have an idea when something has popped up.

Having said that, nothing is foolproof. For example, I've stayed on top of updates, but somewhere missed one of the more important tid-bits of information--that you've found out the hard way. One of those updates left behind older FCPX projects. When they converted to libraries I think in 10.1(?). Anyway, it was a rude awakening. Thankfully Apple provided that older trial and I spent quite a bit of time trying to future-proof older projects by converting them with the trial before it ran out.

Which brings up a good point about archiving older projects. It's one thing to move forward via the latest updates, but another to keep an eye on the past in terms of being able to open older projects. And Apple (unfortunately) hasn't done us too many favors in that regard. For example, I've got a ton of stuff in FCP7. Which means to future proof those projects, I probably should, at the very least, export an XML of each project in the hopes of being able to get most of it recovered in PPro (or using the 7toX app)--should I ever need to get ahold of one of those older/aging projects. I've got one more machine in the shop that will still run FCP7 before IT takes that one away and upgrades it. I believe it's 10.13 that goes full 64-bit and thus leaves behind FCP7.

One eye in the future and one eye in the past with a lot of troubleshooting in-between. It's what we do. Good to hear you've been able to get yourself back up and running (or limping along). ☺

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 22, 2018 at 8:22:30 pm

[David Townsend] "Wow. Apparently I've touched a few nerves here. I get it, I'll update.
"

Don't worry about it, some peoples nerves are easy to get on

Return to posts index

David Townsend
on Oct 20, 2018 at 10:33:23 pm

Thanks Steve, yes I had tried that before to no avail. Then, magically, for reasons known only to some random dude or dudette behind the curtain at Apple, FCPX finally showed up in the Purchases and I was able to just Install. Thank god.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]