FORUMS: list search recent posts

Waveform and audio go missing as soon as my audio is in timeline!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Lanski
Waveform and audio go missing as soon as my audio is in timeline!
on Oct 18, 2018 at 8:43:13 pm

Shot a test video the other day where I recorded 4 mics into a recorder which output a 4 channel polly wave file. Plural eyes sync-ed it up and imported everything into FCPX nicely, only my separate audio doesn't make any sound. There isn't even a waveform.

If I check inside the event, the audio plays perfectly with my waveform in-tact. It's only in the timeline and in the inspector where things go wrong. Is there something silly I'm missing here or could my project have gone corrupt somehow while I was gone?

New to FCPX and Apple, my brain has been going inside-out for weeks!

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Waveform and audio go missing as soon as my audio is in timeline!
on Oct 19, 2018 at 1:07:44 pm

Can you send screengrabs?

Sometimes, it takes a while for waveforms to generate, and sometimes audio won’t play until then, which seems buggy to me.

Also, are you sure you’re adding audio to the timeline? If you hit shift-2, that selects only video to add to the timeline. Shift-1 will select both audio and video. Shift-3 adds only audio.

Return to posts index

Brandon Lanski
on Oct 20, 2018 at 2:17:17 pm

I ended up working around it. Luckily, Plural Eyes never trimmed my audio so all I had to do was drag and drop the media from the event viewer. It snapped into place. and made for a quick fix

My project is just what Plural Eyes spit out to final cut. 1 timeline (which is the one I fixed and cant show screenshots of) And one multicam clip which had the exact same problem. At this point I really want to know if I'm just an idiot or if there's really something wrong with this workflow.

Hope these help visualize what's going on

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 20, 2018 at 8:50:03 pm

Did plural eyes make multiclips? I thought that it attaches sync sound to regular video clips.

Return to posts index

Brandon Lanski
on Oct 21, 2018 at 3:51:41 am

PE will:

-Analyze footage and audio and correct for drift where needed (I think this makes new audio files)

-Generates an XML file

-Imports that file into FCPX

When you open the library, you get a timeline with the audio in sync but in separate tracks; totally disconnected from the video. If you tell PE to do it, a Multicam clip will be generated too which is basically the same exact thing only it puts everything into angles for you.

Really starting to feel like it must have been some kind of glitch, kinda annoying.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 21, 2018 at 12:03:00 pm

Does your audio and video have matching tc?

Return to posts index

Brandon Lanski
on Oct 24, 2018 at 2:27:08 am

No, It was recorded separately

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 24, 2018 at 4:25:26 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Oct 24, 2018 at 4:25:55 pm

[Brandon Lanski] "No, It was recorded separately"

Sure, but it can still have matching tc with the video.

If it doesn't, you can use FCPX to analyze the audio and sync it, no need for Plural Eyes.

It's a little but more a manual process, but it works well.

My guess with Plural Eyes is that the XML is written incorrectly, and FCPX is importing the audio as a different asset, and not an audio only asset, but that is just a hunch.

The other thing you can do with Plural Eyes is simply attach the separate audio to the video, and then you can make multicams in FCPX.

If you do have matching tc between separate system audio, and the video, I'd highly suggest Sync-n-Link X. I use it a lot, but you need to have jammed tc on all devices: https://intelligentassistance.com/sync-n-lnk-x.html

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brandon Lanski
on Oct 25, 2018 at 5:51:47 pm

Jeremy, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I didn't realize syncing audio in Final Cut was so easy. I would really love to figure out a way to get timecode for our two GH5's and our recorder but I think that's going to be another post in a different part of the forum.

Looks like from now on, I'm gonna skip the PE step

Sync-n-link looks really cool. Hope to get an opportunity to try it out.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 25, 2018 at 7:04:49 pm

[Brandon Lanski] "I didn't realize syncing audio in Final Cut was so easy. "

Normally it works well and you usually don't need PE. There's also a conflict between the optimal FCPX workflow and PE. In FCPX you normally ingest, organize things first in the Event Browser, create and sync multicams, etc, and only then add to a timeline.

With PE you must either (1) Put footage on a timeline and round-trip to PE, or (2) Sync in PE and import the XML to FCPX.

#1 is problematic due to various PE limitations: Export from a non-synced or mis-synced multicam clip is not allowed, export from a single timeline with all clips in one lane is not allowed, IOW you can't just append clips to a timeline to get it into PE. You have to build a timeline by hand with connected clips to get Plural Eyes to accept the XML.

#2 can be problematic on large libraries because even finding the correct clips to sync is more cumbersome at the file level than within FCPX using the skimmer. PE will not allow exporting from the Event Browser. It's a cross-platform product and other NLEs don't have an Event Browser.

The core algorithms of PE are very powerful, and it can do continuous correction of sync drift. If someone forgets to set the audio recorder time of day, and if the files are not stored in a folder with the video, PE can search through hundreds of files for a waveform match. However in most cases using FCPX's sync produces a smoother workflow.

To make the FCPX sync work properly, the clips must be labeled with an angle name or camera name in the Inspector before doing the sync. This isn't that difficult and the entire batch of clips shot by one camera can be named in a single step. Procedure:

(1) Set Event Browser to List View to better see the clip data. Pick menu View>Browser>Toggle Filmstrip/List View or press OPT+CMD+2.

(1a) If you determine that time of day is incorrect for certain clips since the operator did not set the camera or recorder clock, the clips will not sort adjacent to each other chronologically. This can complicate picking all clips from a given take to sync in a multicam. This can be fixed and adjusted for all clips from that camera. Select the batch of problem clips and Modify>Adjust Content Created Date and Time.

(2) After clip time of day is correct, in the Event Browser, select all clips from a given audio recorder or camera. If the Inspector is not on, use CMD+4 to show it.

(3) In the Inspector, click the "i" button to show information about the clip. This will reveal a "Camera Name" edit box at the bottom.

(4) Enter a Camera Name for that group of clips and press return. This batch labels all selected clips with that camera name.

(5) Repeat for each camera or audio recorder. Note all clips from a given device can be labeled in one step, so this is quick.

(6) Select all clips in the Event Browser you wish to sync

(7) Right-click and select either "New Multicam Clip" or "Synchronize Clips". Some experienced editors suggest using multicam clips even for single-camera situations: http://www.fcpworks.com/sync-or-multicam-clips/

(8) For either multicam or sync clips make sure the checkbox "use audio for synchronization" is checked.

This will create a new multicam or sync clip which is synchronized using audio. You can double-click the multicam clip and open it in the Angle Editor to verify or adjust the sync. If the sync is not correct you can drag the problem clip left/right or use the comma/period keys for single frame adjustment or left and right angle bracket for 10-frame adjustments.

If you later want to add another camera to an existing multicam, click on down arrow next to the angle name at left of the timeline when in the Angle Editor, and select "Add Angle", then drag the new clip from the Event Browser to the new lane on the timeline.

If a clip is synced incorrectly you can selectively re-sync that one clip within the multicam. In the Angle Editor, click down arrow next to the angle name for the master audio you wish to sync to, and select "Set Monitoring Angle". Then select the clip which is synced wrong, and on that lane's name select the down arrow and pick "Sync Selection to Monitoring Angle". Only that one clip will be re-synced.

Likewise if you forget to add a clip to the multicam during the initial sync, it's not necessary to rebuild the multicam. Just drag/drop the additional clip to the proper angle in the Angle Editor, then use the above procedure to sync that one clip within the multicam.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12661?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]