FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unplayable MOV file from Atomos Shogun recorder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Feaz
Unplayable MOV file from Atomos Shogun recorder
on Sep 25, 2018 at 3:23:14 pm

Hello!

There doesn't seem to be a specific forum for this, so I'm choosing the FCPX forum since I've been helped so much here.

I have a day of shooting that was recorded on an Atomos Shogun Inferno, and 2 of the ProRes files that it generated, with a lot of important footage, won't play in Quicktime Player or import into FCPX. They're just a couple random takes. The files were generated and named in sequence, but they won't play. They have large file sizes that appear to be appropriate for the length of the clips.

Has anyone encountered this and found a way to repair these unplayable MOV files? My web searches yield endless pages of scammy looking file repair app splash pages.

Thanks for any tips!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Unplayable MOV file from Atomos Shogun recorder
on Sep 25, 2018 at 3:58:50 pm

Try this: https://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/download.en.html

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 25, 2018 at 6:37:56 pm

In my experience, that’s usually caused by the Shogun losing power, either the battery running out or the Shogun being switched off with the power button rather than through the menu option, causing a corrupt file. The solution is generally to put the original SSD back into the Shogun and get it to play those specific clips. The Shogun will recognise that they’re broken and offer to rebuild them, usually successfully.

I’ve never found any other solution to fixing those files so please let me know if Jeremy’s suggestion works.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeff Feaz
on Sep 26, 2018 at 1:10:21 am

Thanks, Jeremy and Jeff.

Jeremy's link is a service, which is actually pretty reasonably priced (but I don't have the time required). Unfortunately the SSD is already transferred, formatted, and returned (the Shogun was rented).

I'll post back here if I'm able to find a working solution.

Return to posts index

Jeff Feaz
on Sep 26, 2018 at 2:07:42 am

Got it!

I used this tool: http://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5

The demo version only repairs 50% of the file, so I bought a 5-use license for about $35.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]