FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I create depth of field?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Echstein
How do I create depth of field?
on Sep 22, 2018 at 4:28:21 pm

Hi everyone. I am busy compositing a 3D animation. I have a grayscale Z-depth pass (white is closest to camera, black is furthest - see attached image), and I need to use that to create depth of field in FCPX. What is the best method for this? I have tried using a gaussian blur on a duplicated image, and then adding an image mask as a luminance channel. It kind of works, but I have little control over the image mask and therefore the depth of field. See the result below. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: How do I create depth of field?
on Sep 22, 2018 at 7:49:35 pm

Why in FCPX?
I can see this in After Effects with your render passes.

Return to posts index

Marc Echstein
on Sep 22, 2018 at 8:06:35 pm

Unfortunately I don't have access to After Effects right now... just FCPX and Motion.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 22, 2018 at 8:27:21 pm

Boris Continuum has a depth of field plug-in that will use the depth map but outside of that, there’s nothing I can think of that’s going to do the job in FCPX. I’m impressed you can even get it to sort-of work.

Maybe try the Motion forum and see if anyone there has a suggestion.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Sep 23, 2018 at 1:42:03 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "Maybe try the Motion forum and see if anyone there has a suggestion."

FWIW I don't think (and I have looked for it in the past) that any of the Blurs that come standard with Motion offer an input for an image as blur map. It's possible to use an image to mask between a blurred layer and an unblurred layer - but to me that's always been kind of a half-assed way to do Tilt-Shift or fake DOF that doesn't work as well as true variable blur

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Sep 23, 2018 at 1:22:39 am

[Marc Echstein] " I have a grayscale Z-depth pass (white is closest to camera, black is furthest - see attached image), and I need to use that to create depth of field in FCPX. What is the best method for this?"

Last week I just released a product for tilt-shift and simulating DOF for people who DON'T have a depth map (https://fxfactory.com/info/focuspoint/ - product page and youtube links at the end of this post)

and so I happen to have all the tools right in front of me and so just now after reading this thread I started a module for using a depth map to do DOF - see this short screencap video with voiceover showing what I have so far
[kingluma.com/zmap_focus.mp4]
what other kind of controls would you like to see in such an effect ?

demo

tutorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]