FORUMS: list search recent posts

Open FCP X 10.4 Library without opening a project in the Timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Ellam
Open FCP X 10.4 Library without opening a project in the Timeline?
on Sep 21, 2018 at 6:35:40 pm

In FCP 7 there were keyboard commands to launch FCP 7 opening just a new project and also to open a specific project with no sequences open.

Shift Launch FCP 7 = open with just a new project
Shift + Alt Launch FCP 7 = open project without opening sequences

Is there a way of opening an FCP X 10.4 library without it loading a project into the Timeline?

I have tried some modifier key combinations when launching FCP X but without success.

Tony Ellam,
London, UK

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Open FCP X 10.4 Library without opening a project in the Timeline?
on Sep 21, 2018 at 9:07:11 pm

[Tony Ellam] "Is there a way of opening an FCP X 10.4 library without it loading a project into the Timeline?"

No, unfortunately. Submit a feature request.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
Re: Open FCP X 10.4 Library without opening a project in the Timeline?
on Sep 23, 2018 at 8:44:48 am

As previously stated this is not currently possible. However if your wish is to have an empty timeline so as to open the project you are working on, rather than some random project version that FCPX chooses when a library is launched (how does that happen?!), I can offer the following (this applies to ver. 10.4.3, not sure about earlier versions):

Create a new library, name it Close Timelines or whatever. Create a project in that library and put a single title or clip in the project. I put a big title on screen saying Close Timelines.

Close that library.

Next time you want to clear unwanted open projects or compound clips from your timeline launch that Close Timelines library. It has only one project so that's what will open. Then immediately close that library.

This clears all currently open timelines (open projects) and you can then open the project you wish from the library you were working with. I use this trick almost daily.

It would be great if FCPX timelines had some of the features of FCP7 timelines; proper visible tabs, the ability to lock tracks, the flexibility to open and close timelines at will...

I have submitted all this as feature requests but Apple seems to steadfastly ignore practical useability in some areas of FCPX. I very much enjoy working with it but some aspects of FCPX's functionality are not very well thought out for the real world of editing and tight post-production schedules.

Hamdani Milas

Independent producer, director, cinematographer, writer, editor
Milas Film Productions, Hong Kong
http://www.milasfilm.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]