FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Spatial Conform stretched only via Decklink Monitor Output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Abujamra
FCPX Spatial Conform stretched only via Decklink Monitor Output
on Sep 16, 2018 at 8:22:04 pm

Hi

I'm working on R3D footage from a feature film. 8k Raw, editing in Red original proxies 2k. It's a 2.39 scope Project, filmed with non-anamorphic lens just regular lens) . I just installed an external monitor setup:

MAC > Decklink Mini Monitor > Decklink Converter (sdi to hdmi 6g) > LG OLED B755

In Davinci Resolve works perfectly, but in FCPX it's just not working. I Resolve it outputs as it should - 2.39 with black bars on top and bottom.

I did everything I was suppose to:
Project Settings were as before: 2048 x 858
All Spatial Conform set to FILL

In the Gui viewers everything is fine. But on the external LG, the image is stretched to occupy the whole frame.

I spent hours already trying to fix this.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you

Hackintosh
i9 7920
64 Gb RAM
Nvidia 1080ti + AMD Radeon 64

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX Spatial Conform stretched only via Decklink Monitor Output
on Sep 17, 2018 at 12:49:49 pm

What resolution does the monitor say it’s getting?

Is there any aspect ratio correction on it?

What resolution is the decklink sending? Is there any way to tell it to send 16x9 letterboxed?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 17, 2018 at 5:28:56 pm

FCPX stretches to fit the source media (timeline) to the setting of the decklink. Other apps are more forgiving and will maintain the aspect of the two don’t match. So I think Jeremy is right, just make sure the decklink settings match your FCPX sequence settings. That is always the case.

Outliner http://bretfx.com/product/outliner/
Clock Maker http://bretfx.com/product/bretfx-clock-maker/

Return to posts index

Ben Hendriks
on Sep 17, 2018 at 5:28:12 pm

Hi Marco,

As far as I know the decklink mini monitor does not support 2K.
FCPX stretches your 2K scope to HD. You have to squeeze your footage vertically to get the right output.
Resolve handles this smarter.

Cheers Ben

Return to posts index

Marco Abujamra
on Sep 17, 2018 at 11:33:47 pm

Thank you all guis for the responses

The monitor has bad aspect custom system that's worthless
Decklink can de set to whole Bunch of outputs, 4k dci, 2k dci, hd, etc... Virtually all of then. Nothing works'
Maybe is the 2K thing. I set the project in FCPX to 1920x1080. Than created a letterbox on top. It was a strange way, once FCPX can output on it's guis the perfect aspect. If you guys now another way, please let me know.

Thanks a lot

Marco

Hackintosh
i9 7920
64 Gb RAM

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 18, 2018 at 12:14:26 am

Either FCPX would have to support sending the information in a way that displays the information correctly (like Resolve) or the decklinknhardwste would have to have the capability of taking the FCPX output and leteerboxing the output so it displays correctly on the monitor. I don’t think the decklink mini would have that capability, but a more capable (and expensive) option from blackmagic might.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 18, 2018 at 12:16:45 am

Or, you put the footage in a 1080 timeline, set the spatial conform to fit and edit that way, as you have suggested.

You can put a letterbox filter on an Adjustment layer and have that at the top over all the video allowing for any repo but keeping the correct aspect ratio.

Return to posts index

Marco Abujamra
on Sep 18, 2018 at 5:19:08 am

Yes, that's what I did...

Another weird issue that I noticed tonight when exporting a DCP with Resolve's new feature, is that output Scalling "Scale Full Frame with crop", does show the correct black vertical bars on Davinci's viewer, but this time, not on the TV.

Hackintosh
i9 7920
64 Gb RAM

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 18, 2018 at 8:23:55 pm

[Marco Abujamra] "Another weird issue that I noticed tonight when exporting a DCP with Resolve's new feature, is that output Scalling "Scale Full Frame with crop", does show the correct black vertical bars on Davinci's viewer, but this time, not on the TV.
"

You mean when you are watching the DCP though Resolve, you are seeing the incorrect aspect ratio?

Return to posts index

Marco Abujamra
on Sep 19, 2018 at 7:45:33 pm

Yes, the image is occupying the whole screen of the LG monitor, when it should show black bars according to scale configurations inside resolve. Resolve GUI shows it correctly. The TV has some Aspect Ratio Settings:
16:9
Original
4:3
Vertical Zoom
All-direction Zoom

The zooms are no good. And the Original has no effect.

Hackintosh
i9 7920
64 Gb RAM

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 19, 2018 at 11:17:03 pm

What are the settings of the working timeline and what are the settings of the non-working timeline?

Return to posts index

Marco Abujamra
on Sep 21, 2018 at 6:59:55 pm

It's a regular 16:9 footage, 1920x1080, that DCP has to convert to 1998x1080, Flat DCP, 1.85
The project came from FPCX xml, from a regular 1920x1080 timeline. I followed Mixing Light instructions on how to make a DCP on resolve. Created the timeline for a Flat DCP.

Hackintosh
i9 7920
64 Gb RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]