FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPx video captions all over the place!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gillian Marsollier
FCPx video captions all over the place!
on Aug 20, 2018 at 11:40:47 pm

Hi all,

I am just learning to use the new-ish captions option in FPCx. I was able to put them in no problem, but they are all over the place. Left alignment, centred, closer to the bottom... It looks fine in FCPx and I didn't toggle any of the alignment areas.

Here it is, if you would like to take a look to see what I mean:

https://vimeo.com/285923633
pass: captions

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPx video captions all over the place!
on Aug 21, 2018 at 2:04:27 am

I don’t see any captions at all.

Return to posts index

Gillian Marsollier
on Aug 21, 2018 at 2:31:37 am

Argh! Me neither. They are on the video, just not after the vimeo upload it would appear.

Not sure how to upload a video to this post as it said the file wasn't supported?? It is a 28mb quicktime video.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 21, 2018 at 2:36:37 am

Did you export with captions embedded?

I think you have to upload a sidecar: https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/224968828-Captions-and-subtitles

Return to posts index

Gillian Marsollier
on Aug 21, 2018 at 2:43:56 pm

Thank you for this.

I guess that what I am looking for is this:

-I have created subtitles for the video in FCPx and followed the Larry Jordan directions exactly.
-I am not sure why the subtitles are all over the place at the bottom of the screen, but more importantly (now that I know that you cannot even see it!),
-How do I burn those subtitles in?

The main reason for the subtitles is so that they will auto-play for our adverts on instagram and FB. So, they need to be burned in.

Can FCPx do this? You can see the subtitles in the screenshot. That is taken from the quicktime FCPx export.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 21, 2018 at 3:53:26 pm

[Gillian Marsollier] "-I have created subtitles for the video in FCPx and followed the Larry Jordan directions exactly. "

There is a difference between closed captions (and sometimes subtitles) and open captions. Closed Captioning (or subtitles) allows the user to turn the text on or off (in Vimeo, it would be by clicking the 'CC' button if you uploaded the captions separately). Open captions are usually burned in and the user can't turn them off. It sounds like you want open captions.

You need to use an app to convert the closed captions to open captions.

Here's a primer:

Return to posts index

Gillian Marsollier
on Aug 21, 2018 at 10:11:53 pm

Oh my goodness, thank you so much!!

I completely needed your guidance and am very appreciative for your time. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you ☺ ☺ :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]