FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to best use green screen or other color if better to key the subject or if there is masking technique that is more effective in Final CUt

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ray butler
How to best use green screen or other color if better to key the subject or if there is masking technique that is more effective in Final CUt
on Aug 7, 2018 at 9:07:05 pm

I am a relative novice at doing videos, , as i am doing them in conjunction with solo classical guitar on you tube etc.
What i am trying to achieve if possible is to simulate me playing in various outdoor or other settings (where it is too difficult to get good audio recording)
by recording the guitar first with some green screen technique, , then using a video background i would shoot of the outside venue/ the only things i need to show in the guitar part is me performing and sitting on a chair with footstool- as if i am superimposed on any background i choose- in this case some wedding related scenery . i want to be able to place my guitar part anywhere in the screen not just the foreground, as if i am playing in the middle of a part or on a gazebo, and still use be able to do zoom and other techniques during the guitar playing , where i could do a long shot to start and gradually expand the guitar part with zoom so that the proportional background is also expanded in synch i have used the overlay technique previously with varying degrees of opaqueness but i dont know if there is masking that could automatically block out the overlay video background on the portion of me playing?
my only alternative is to prerecord, and then shoot the video, but it is very difficult to have my hands synched perfectly to complicated music that does not follow
a click track like beat- as classical music ebbs and flows . and i dont want it to look like i am not playing in synch which most other musicians, especially guitarists would discern. i would be using various cameras with different angles to initial guitar vid .

thank you Ray Butler

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: How to best use green screen or other color if better to key the subject or if there is masking technique that is more effective in Final CUt
on Aug 10, 2018 at 7:01:18 pm

Hi Ray,

What you are describing, from a video production standpoint, would be very costly, hideously time consuming, and would almost certainly result in poor visual quality.

In your situation, I would instead focus on getting good remote sound. Start with a good mic, maybe an LR Baggs Lyric or something similar, which is installed in your guitar. You could then use a portable audio recorder and sync to the video before you edit, or take your chances with a wireless system to transmit directly to camera.

Focusing on getting better audio while shooting the performance would be far less expensive, much better quality, and really quick.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
Re: How to best use green screen or other color if better to key the subject or if there is masking technique that is more effective in Final CUt
on Sep 24, 2018 at 10:31:40 pm

What it sounds like to me, Ray, is that doing a locked greenscreen shoot of you playing recorded with good mics is your best option -- if I read your question correctly. Lock down the mic position and the stool you are playing on and then if you only have one camera, you could move the camera to another angle and then play to the click to keep your timing accurate -- by having the mic and stool position locked, your audio should be very close if you wish to use audio from any of the other "takes" should your need arise. Repeat as needed to get your angles into the can. Then you can edit the various angles, as needed, and drop out the greenscreen to get the "location" shots that you want.

I hope that I understood your question correctly.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

ray butler
on Sep 25, 2018 at 1:28:18 am

Thanks Ronald this helps i am able to solve audio
Synch by using muliple ipads camera at different
Angles From my mic i run it into a splitter box which then
Has multiple outs for the signal which then go to
An IRIG interfaces then go to the indiv lighting ports
Of the ipad this allows perfect synch w all cameras
Running so when i change camera angles in the dfiting
The sound is also exact to what you see very important
For guitar players watching Final cut has a merge
Program so start of audios all line up as the cameras
Cant begin at same time I use a bluetooth
Button while sitting in chair to start and stop camera
What i was trying to ask though i did not clarify
Question properly is how to avoid the usual foreground
Of subject w green screen I want to if possible to have
My image to scale with the green screen vid overlay
For example i want transport me to to playing on the
A boardwalk on a dock somewhere in further back
So you see the boardwalk in foreground then me further
Back more towards sea And be able to zoom etc while
Keeping the correct proportion
It seems my editing of angles zoom pan etc would
Have to be done in conjuction of the green screen still

I watched other guitar vids and i can tell they
Recorded their perfect audio then
Go to the location outdoors and simulate playing
Which would require some headphone to hear
The audio this is nearly impossible to
Do esp w fast passages and classical music
Doesnt work w click tracks there are too many
Subtle shifts in tempo and sometimes pauses
And irregular meters
I may have to be on location and find
A good mic that i record audio as well
I was trying to use footage from exotic locations such
As playing brazilian piece in a rainforest and then
Segue into a street scene in rio etc
The most difficult part even without green screen
Is when i do segmented vids and then merge it into one
Video as its very difficult playing pieces perfect at least
By my standards i may play part 1 of piece where
It has a logical musical pause But instead of pausing i start
A tiny bit of next section as my fingers are in progress
Of moving to a new gtr position then i start the next
Section with my body position as closely as possible
To how i ended from isr section
It will look like a jump cut unless i do dissolve or edit one
Of the other camera angles and not show one of the hand
On the first section then the other hand showing on
Sectiin 2 or face only or without gtr showing
I was told otherwise it will look like a jump cut as the human
Eye can discern it even at 24 frames per second
I dont know if recording at more frames per second?
Thank you for your time i am only a novice w film editing
I could send you one of my vids to see if you think i suceeded
At doing the vid and audio in segments without
Noticing it wasnt done all in one take or if you see
Better ways to do it
Thanks Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]