FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stills 1080 to 4k

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ashton
Stills 1080 to 4k
on Jul 31, 2018 at 9:07:05 am

I've edited a sequence in 1080i of some video camera footage shot 1080i and stills taken from my camera 6000x4000 resolution.

I've added some moves to the stills and all renders fine at 1080i25 and 1080p25.

I thought I'd try creating a 4k version by creating a new 4k project, resolution 3840x2160 and copying and pasting the 1080i timeline into it. Video scales fine but all of the stills have stayed at their 1080 size and position meaning they float around with lots of black space around the stills revealing the transform moves. I set the stills for spatial conform - none. When I change this at 4K the stills just get smaller. The inspector shows the stills in my timeline are still seen as 6000x4000 res.

Should I expect the stills to scale as well or do I have to re-do all the moves in 4K?

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: Stills 1080 to 4k
on Jul 31, 2018 at 12:07:52 pm

In Spatial Conform, try setting it as Fill. That may get you close.

Return to posts index

Simon Ashton
on Jul 31, 2018 at 12:47:34 pm

Sadly that just makes the images even smaller.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 1, 2018 at 2:37:55 am

Strange. I’ve had some weirdness like this before, but not for awhile. You could compound the stills then that would give you a second scale control that wouldn’t affect your original moves.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 1, 2018 at 12:46:33 pm

Also do you have an "adjustment layer" or title over top of the stills? As I recall this created issues when copying and pasting between different size timelines.

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Aug 1, 2018 at 7:37:48 pm

Simon, I have had a few odd issues like this. One question for you first.

In your 1080 timeline, what spacial conform setting was applied to your images? Fit, Fill, None? If none was chosen, then your scaling issues make sense and you will have to redo your scaling moves. If the images were set to fit or fill then you are seeing a oddity and could try one of the below options.

The solutions I have found for odd scaling issues have been to restart FCPX which seemed to jog its memory and make the spacial conform calculate correctly. I have had to do this when relinking my original 4K footage to my small proxy media (created myself). This doesn't sound like your problem, but restarting is easy so I suggest it.

The second solution has been to recut the clip back in. This is my least favorite but thankfully it was only one shot. I selected the bad clip and revealed it in the finder, then hit Q to drop it on top of the bad clip. I copied and pasted attributes and deleted the bad clip. Solved.

Of course neither of these could solve your issue, but I hope it helps.

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Simon Ashton
on Aug 2, 2018 at 10:37:25 am

Yes - I used no spatial conform so guess that's my problem.

It was more of a "play" than real world edit so it's a useful lesson learned. Will try a re-edit when I have time using the conform settings.

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Aug 2, 2018 at 4:44:06 pm

Oh good. Glad it wasn't a bug.

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]