FORUMS: list search recent posts

Record voiceover via Firewire mic?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Turner
Record voiceover via Firewire mic?
on Jul 28, 2018 at 3:05:04 am

Hey Everybody—

Combination of old and new worlds here... I'm going to record a voiceover but don't have anything in the way of quality standalone microphones yet. I do have an old Canon XL1, whose microphone should be pretty decent and get the job done. However, when I open the Record Voiceover window, the FireWire camera is not an option. System Preferences > Sound > Input does not see it either, only showing the same 3 other inputs that FCPX shows. But QuickTime Player X shows it as "Canon DV", along with the other 3. Anybody know of a trick to get FCPX to see this as an option too? It already "sees" the camera in the Import window...just not Record Voiceover.

Thanks,
Fred

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: Record voiceover via Firewire mic?
on Jul 29, 2018 at 6:49:59 pm

An less than elegant solution, would be to record your voice over onto the Canon just as another video. Then import it and detach the audio, place it in the timeline in need of the voice over. I sometimes record to a H4n Zoom and the place each voice over segment into the video, about the same process.

Return to posts index

Fred Turner
on Jul 30, 2018 at 5:17:49 pm

Thanks, Claude, appreciate the suggestion! I had thought of that as well, but I didn't want to fool w/ the aggravation of tape. After all, I've just recently been trying to get my last bit of tape footage archived onto server/RAID!

I wound up connecting my Rode VideoMicro from my G85 via mini RCA cable, plugging it in to my OWC ThunderBolt 2 Dock (didn't work directly into MBP15 Mid 2015, I'm guessing because of power, which the mic does not have on its own).

Still odd to me that QT Player can record straight from the DV input while FCPX cannot. I guess you could record that way while watching the video in FCPX, then sync them up after, thus avoiding the tape recording and import process...

Thanks again,
Fred

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jul 30, 2018 at 11:05:02 pm

I just bought an iRig Duo to digitize the output of my Rode NTG4+ mic for voice over recording in FCPX. The iRig arrives tomorrow. Should make for high quality voice over, except for the talent (me). Before this I was using a Blue Snowball that does a good job of the whole process and can be had for about $70. But I wanted the higher quality of the Rode shotgun.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]