FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting FCPX to recognize all clips stored in FCP libraries on external drives?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Schulz
Getting FCPX to recognize all clips stored in FCP libraries on external drives?
on Jul 21, 2018 at 5:44:23 am

Hi everyone, not a pro user but someone who uses FCPX a lot. I'm needing more space on my laptop computer (I edit while I travel so need to use one) so I moved the events from several libraries (I was warned not to try to move entire libraries) into a new library on an external drive. Now when I open that library most of the clips do not show in the event window (is that what it's called?) I checked the source files and they are in the events on the drive, they just don't show up. All clips is checked, and some clips do show up, just not all. Any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Getting FCPX to recognize all clips stored in FCP libraries on external drives?
on Jul 21, 2018 at 1:30:19 pm

What you you warned about moving Libraries? FCPX will let you move them from inside the software. I move Libraries all the time to external drives.

Have you tried re-linking the clips? Highlight a missing clip and choose relink and locate the clips.

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Brian Schulz
Re: Getting FCPX to recognize all clips stored in FCP libraries on external drives?
on Jul 23, 2018 at 5:36:56 am

Hey Scott, thanks for responding. What I did was move each event to a new FCP Library on an external drive, then I open that library in FCP, which works fine, I open the event, which also works fine, but in the event, there are only some of the clips there, so nothing to highlight. but when I actually just open the folders with finder, all the clips are there. I'm not a pro user, so maybe I'm not understanding something, but it seems like moving an event would leave the clips that were moved with the event in the event browser. It's weird, I'm not sure how to get them to show up there or what went wrong?

None of this is really the right solution for me anyway to be honest. My work situation is that I need to work fast on a laptop, which fills up pretty quickly. I try to avoid editing directly off external drives because they eject themselves by getting even slightly jostled. So what I'm trying to do is just put the less used files on an external drive, but of course that creates backup issues. Because then to be safe I have to copy files to two external drives. I keep trying to figure out the smartest way to manage this whole workflow, I don't imagine that a lot of people do as much editing as I do on a portable setup. If apple made a locking plug of some sort I could just edit off external drives like a normal person.

So you feel like just moving libraries is safe?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 23, 2018 at 2:35:23 pm

[Brian Schulz] " open the event, which also works fine, but in the event, there are only some of the clips there, so nothing to highlight. but when I actually just open the folders with finder, all the clips are there."

Instead of looking at the event, look under the Library folder or go to the smart collections folder and look under all video. My hunch says they are there.

I use external drives all the time and move them around. When I do that, however, I am sure to copy everything to the Library so there is just one "thing" to transfer, not video in external folders. Probably not the most space efficient way to do things, but it has worked for me for years. If you are moving Libraries at the finder level, be sure to consolidate all media into that Library before moving.

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]