FORUMS: list search recent posts

Custom workspace in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Johnstone
Custom workspace in FCPX
on Jul 3, 2018 at 7:49:19 am

Chums,

I have resisted FCPX for as long as has been humanly possible, but now that BBC are rolling it out across the regions, I have no choice.

I am stuck on several points, but one of the most irritating things that I cannot figure a fix for is how to layout my workspace across dual screens in a way that will allow me to resize windows as I want them.

What I am essentially after is 'two up' editing with the timeline (or whatever it is called now) below on on screen and my rushes bin on screen two, dragged to fill half the screen so I can have the script visible in Word on the other half of the screen.
Andy

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Custom workspace in FCPX
on Jul 3, 2018 at 12:47:10 pm

[Andrew Johnstone] "I have resisted FCPX for as long as has been humanly possible, but now that BBC are rolling it out across the regions, I have no choice.

"

Resistance is futile I'm afraid ☺ BBC rolling out FCPX across the regions?

Bad news is that you can't do that in FCPX I'm afraid - unless I'm mistaken? You can only resize the "Primary" window

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 3, 2018 at 6:39:32 pm

[Andrew Johnstone] "I have resisted FCPX for as long as has been humanly possible, but now that BBC are rolling it out across the regions, I have no choice."

Out of curiosity, since it looks like you are an outside production company vendor to BBC, why does it matter? Are they mandating that you also work in FCPX for your projects?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 3, 2018 at 9:03:40 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Are they mandating that you also work in FCPX for your projects?"

Compatibility would be my guess.

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 3, 2018 at 9:59:39 pm

[Andrew Johnstone] "What I am essentially after is 'two up' editing with the timeline (or whatever it is called now) below on on screen and my rushes bin on screen two, dragged to fill half the screen so I can have the script visible in Word on the other half of the screen."

Certainly not as flexible (right now) as Premiere, but there are a lot of options (under the Window dropdown) for the second display and the workspace and then each of those can be saved as presets.

Best advice: don't try to make X into Premiere, Avid or FCP-Legacy. Learn the software the way it was designed to work. You will be much happier in the long run and not look back (I know I am).

sw

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 3, 2018 at 10:02:08 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Best advice: don't try to make X into Premiere, Avid or FCP-Legacy. Learn the software the way it was designed to work. You will be much happier in the long run and not look back (I know I am)."

Go back and re-read what he's trying to do:

"dragged to fill half the screen so I can have the script visible in Word on the other half of the screen"

This has nothing to do with making one NLE act like another. It's an app UI issue as to how it interacts with the OS.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 3, 2018 at 10:36:02 pm

I remember years ago there was a screen utility that would allow you to have multiple desktops.
I don't remember if you were to be able to scale one over the other.
I too would like something similar but almost every workstation I'm at has on average two computers with dual displays each.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 4, 2018 at 12:49:14 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Go back and re-read what he's trying to do"

I know that Oliver. As I said in my reply, it is not like Pr. So what he exactly wants from the system may not be there. However, it seems he is just getting into X so there are some options he may want to look at. I’m not bashing any other product.

The line of mine you “quoted” had nothing to do with his set-up, just advice on how to use a system that he has been resisting. This is not the debate forum rather a techniques forum. I think advice here can be a good thing.

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 4, 2018 at 1:16:29 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "This is not the debate forum rather a techniques forum. I think advice here can be a good thing."

This isn't a question of debate. It's a need an editor has, regardless of the app. Answering the question with a solution, or just saying it just can't do that, is sufficient. Telling someone they aren't using the app correctly is insulting.

So then tell me - if I have the FCPX UI spread across two displays, how do I also see a document in another app at the same time? That's sort of fundamental when addressing a client's notes or comparing the edited cut against a script, for example. The fact that I can adjust the size of the UI panel on one screen, but not the other, would seem to be a design issue. The only answer I've found with FCPX is to print out the script and compare paper to screen or use a single screen workspace.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 4, 2018 at 5:00:24 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Answering the question with a solution, or just saying it just can't do that, is sufficient. Telling someone they aren't using the app correctly is insulting."

Where did I say he was using the program incorrectly? I have no idea how you are reading that in my response. I simply am giving tried and true advice to a person starting out on X.

[Oliver Peters] "So then tell me - if I have the FCPX UI spread across two displays, how do I also see a document in another app at the same time? "

Me? I have an iPad. I put the script on that. Or look at some of the other second display options. The fact is that apparently exactly what he wants isn’t in X right now. He has to use X now. So he adapts. Here are some ideas. We are not debating limitations of any one software, rather helping someone solve a problem. BBC ain’t gonna change because of this forum, so let’s help him out. Just pointing out perceived UI design deficiencies is not of any help.

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 4, 2018 at 5:16:28 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Where did I say he was using the program incorrectly?"

"Best advice: don't try to make X into Premiere, Avid or FCP-Legacy. Learn the software the way it was designed to work. "

[Scott Witthaus] "We are not debating limitations of any one software, rather helping someone solve a problem."

Agreed. So the answer is that he can't do what he wants to do.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 4, 2018 at 6:11:05 pm

Andrew,

Since you can resize the primary display and you can rearrange workspaces, here are two options. It is also possible to change which is primary through your system display preferences. So the left or right image can be reversed from what you see here, if your OS menu is on the left screen.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]