FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions: Replacing old source file with updated source file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sheré kwoksikpong
Suggestions: Replacing old source file with updated source file
on Jun 29, 2018 at 12:40:26 am

hello! using fcpx 10.4 .

I am looking for some help with replacing source files in my timeline. Here is where I'm at, I am trying to include as much detail as clearly as possible:

I created a music video on a green screen. All the source files (raw footage) are .MXF extensions. I also attached the master track (audio) to the video in my timeline.

I sent the FCP bundle file to another artist overseas to do the special effects. The artist took all the proxy media, which had uploaded automatically to Google Drive as .mov files .

The artist sent me back a test clip, updated with the special effects, to see if I could relink the test clip to a clip in my timeline, replacing the old source file (the original footage with green screen). This way I could just relink all the old source files with the new fancy special effects files, so I don't have to re-edit the video manually. The test file I received is a .mov . I chose the first clip in my timeline to be replaced with the new one, to make things simple.

When I tried to do this, I got the following prompt:
"Incompatible File

The original file had audio, but the new file doesn’t.

Relinked files must have the same media type and similar audio channels as the original files, and must be long enough to cover all the clips that reference the files."

The artist does not have FCP, and trying to convert the FCP > XML > AAF + upload caused issues. I believe the artist is using After Effects.

Questions:

Do I need to add the master track added to the .mov files?
Do I need to ensure the .mov files being returned to me are converted to .MXF?
Should I be doing this a different way?

thank you kindly!!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Suggestions: Replacing old source file with updated source file
on Jun 29, 2018 at 12:04:17 pm

Your source files from the camera had embedded audio channels. The VFX artists' render files do not. These will not relink in FCPX. His files need to included the exact same number of embedded audio channels are the camera originals.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Suggestions: Replacing old source file with updated source file
on Jun 29, 2018 at 5:02:11 pm

And After Effects is terrible with audio.

I’d suggest over cutting the VFX shots in to your timeline. This will allow easy relink to new VFX shots as they are updated/changed, and keeps a reference to the original media in your timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]