<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roland Leong
FCP 10.4.3 not working with Radeon RX 580
on Jun 25, 2018 at 12:47:45 pm

Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1
OS 10.13.5
FCP 10.4.3
Stock Radeon Pulse RX 580

Clips appear blank in library and do not play in browser or timeline. Video appears to be working in other operations outside of FCP.

When Mac flashed Nvidia GTX 980 is re-installed all is good.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Return to posts index

Jon Siegrist
Re: FCP 10.4.3 not working with Radeon RX 580
on Jul 22, 2018 at 7:27:54 pm

Hi there, I’m having the exact same issue. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Return to posts index

Roland Leong
Re: FCP 10.4.3 not working with Radeon RX 580
on Jul 22, 2018 at 7:59:58 pm

Yes, but it wasn't easy. I've only got it working as of today, so it took a month of trouble shooting and multiple times of pulling out/putting in video cards. My son-in-law made the following suggestions, and so far they've seemed to work:

Just grasping at straws here...

1. Did you uninstall the NVIDIA and CUDA drivers before rebooting with the Radeon card? Given the shoddiness of Apple's software quality-control over the last few releases, I wouldn't be surprised if FCP-X (or macOS itself) is getting confused about the switch of GPU architecture?

2. Have you trashed your FCP-X preferences as part of your troubleshooting? If not, it's definitely one of the first things to do to eliminate simple preferences corruption as the cause of the problem. I can't tell you how many times in the past where I've spent hours and hours trying to troubleshoot an issue I was having in either Final Cut Pro 7 or Adobe Premiere/After Effects (pulling/swapping out RAM sticks, uninstalling potentially conflicting apps etc), when ultimately it turned out that simply trashing the app preferences fixed the issue. I recommend using Digital Rebellion's free Preference Manager for this task, since it allows you to backup your prefs before it trashes them.

3. The final hail-mary pass is to zap the PRAM, not once, but THREE times in a row. I have to periodically do this on my Mac Pro because the 10gig Ethernet card in my system randomly stops being recognized by the OS a few times a month. The only thing that ever brings it back is to to zap the PRAM 3 times in succession. I've never seen any official documentation from Apple about the triple-zap being an actual thing, but ever since I learned about it from this CalDigit techsupport document, I can personally vouch that it can sometimes inexplicably work to fix weird hardware issues.

So while I've output a couple of timelines to ProRez 4444 and it's worked, I can't give you a final determination as to whether the RX580 is a keeper yet. Let me know how you fare.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]