FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDR video graded with FCPX and YouTube

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Duke
HDR video graded with FCPX and YouTube
on Jun 3, 2018 at 9:25:52 pm

Has anyone successfully placed an HDR video graded with FCPX on YouTube? If yes, what is your workflow after you export video from FCPX?

James Duke
jduke@lifestorypictures.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: HDR video graded with FCPX and YouTube
on Jun 4, 2018 at 12:46:57 am

This may be helpful.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7126552?hl=en

Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

James Duke
on Jun 4, 2018 at 3:36:39 am

I have done ALL they request in this and other recommendations - It does not work at all.
Do you know anyone who has actually done it?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 4, 2018 at 12:30:03 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jun 4, 2018 at 2:36:45 pm

I have not actually done this either, but are you viewing YouTube through a TV set that is HDR-enabled?

From one of the HDR sample pages on YouTube: "To view this video in real HDR you need a 4K HDR TV and a device with YouTube HDR such as Chromecast Ultra."

Currently, to see HDR on a mobile Apple device, you need an iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, or 2nd gen iPad Pro. Not possible to see (you won't even get the settings options) on a desktop display.

The bottom line is that you may be doing everything right, but you won't see the results to really know.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

James Duke
on Jun 4, 2018 at 6:24:31 pm

Oliver,

I have been working with HDR for quite awhile. Of course you need HDR TV. I have many videos (here are the Spain travel HDR videos http://www.lifestorypictures.com/spain-travel/) mastered in FCPX/Compressor w H.265 and hosted on Vimeo, which, you are right, can only be viewed with combination of Apple TV box and HDR TV. YouTube, on the other hand, requires a combination of Google Chromecast Ultra and HDR TV. However because of the, how should I say, competitiveness of Apple and Google, Google does not allow HDR metadata from FCPX to "trigger" HDR content on YouTube. They recommend a kluge software called "Matroska Colour Metadata Ingestion Utility" to "dress" video with an "appropriate" metadata. I tried to use it - it does not work on Mac. I did not try to try it yet on Windows.

James

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 4, 2018 at 7:27:56 pm

[James Duke] "I have been working with HDR for quite awhile."

Good to know. It's always hard to tell what level of knowledge people have on these forums. HDR is still the wild west. Sounds like you need to file support feedback to Apple.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

James Duke
on Jun 4, 2018 at 8:29:14 pm

I did. In support, they have no idea. Their engineers, I am sure, do, but I cannot get to them.
On the surface, it appears that FCPX w HDR is cut off from YouTube.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 4, 2018 at 9:09:30 pm

This is all I see from Apple.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208283

Seems that you need to upload a ProRes file with the metadata. Maybe that's the issue, if you are uploading an H.265 file.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

James Duke
on Jun 5, 2018 at 1:58:38 am

Tried that too - it did not work. But, in general, it is impractical even for a short film - too big.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jun 7, 2018 at 6:15:17 pm

I've been testing here recently. So far I've had better success with uploading a HLG ProRes file that was mastered in FCPX with HLG color profile embedded in it. I've been testing on my iPhone X and looks pretty, the SDR version on my Apple Monitor looks good too. I tried uploading a PQ version but the SDR conversion turned out to be very low levels and dull.

Return to posts index

James Duke
on Jun 8, 2018 at 9:51:32 pm

Davin,
I have not tried HLG. Did you compress video before uploading? I use LG HDR TV (has 1000 nits max) as my FCPX external monitor and as a TV test for uploaded video. Was your HDR PQ version proper on your iPhone X? Again, did you compress PQ version before uploading? If you compressed before uploading, what was the codec?

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jun 11, 2018 at 3:21:50 am

I did not compress the video first but uploaded the ProRes LT file directly to YouTube. Took about an hour for a 28:30. The PQ footage looked good on my iPhone x but the SDR was pretty low on my computer monitor. However I did not have a proper monitor to grade PQ, so that maybe more on me than anything else.

Return to posts index

James Duke
on Jun 14, 2018 at 10:11:53 pm

I was now able to upload several 5 min videos straight in H.265. See for example

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Vnip6WpFI". Either YouTube did something in the last couple of weeks, when I was not looking, or I just got thrown back by the brightness of the uploaded video. The observed (not measured) brightness of HDR video when seen through Google Chromecast Ultra and LG HDR TV in YouTube is approximately 75% of observed brightness of HDR video when seen through 4K Apple TV and LG HDR TV in Vimeo. So I had to change settings of the Chromecast-connected TV input to get "similar" effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]