FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better Synchronize Clips Workaround Sought

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John A. Mozzer
Better Synchronize Clips Workaround Sought
on May 28, 2018 at 1:53:53 am

I have one long video with low quality audio, and six audio files with high quality audio. Ultimately, this needs to be six Projects, each Project consisting of the audio from one of the high quality audio files, and the corresponding portion of the video. Synchronizing the high quality audio with the video using Synchronize Clips works splendidly. All six audio files fall into place under the video perfectly. And then, I can proceed to cut the video with the Blade tool between each audio clip in the Synchronized Clip, separating the material for each of the six Projects very easily (the point of not cutting up the video beforehand) . . .

. . . problem is, when appending the Synchronized Clip to a Project timeline (which I would like to do six times, each time simply deleting the unwanted material in the Project timelines), the Blade tool cuts, markers, distinction between audio files, etc., are gone. And I don’t see a method to copy the Synchronized Clip within the Library in order to do the editing there. My workaround is to create a temporary new Library, and use the Copy Clip to Library feature six times, do the editing for each Project in those copies, append each of the edited Synchronized Clips to the Projects accordingly, and then move the Projects to the original Library.

Is there a better workaround? I will need to do this repeatedly as part of an ongoing project.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Better Synchronize Clips Workaround Sought
on May 28, 2018 at 1:43:46 pm

[John A. Mozzer] "
Is there a better workaround? I will need to do this repeatedly as part of an ongoing project.
"

Can you please provide a few screenshots?

I can’t quite make out what it is you are doing, and what is happening.

Return to posts index

John A. Mozzer
on May 28, 2018 at 9:07:57 pm

It might help if I explain the project is basically audio only, but made into video so that I can put it on YouTube. I don’t have images to go with the audio. So instead, I am creating screen recordings of an oscilloscope to creatively serve as the video. To create the screen recordings of the oscilloscope, I use an application for playback of the audio files, and the oscilloscope, on my iMac. I use Quicktime Player to create the screen recordings of both the oscilloscope, and the audio coming out of the iMac’s speakers (the low quality audio.)

It is a documentary oriented digital archiving project, and doesn’t involve much editing. Here is a screenshot showing a synchronized clip, consisting of one long video, and six synchronized audio files (the high quality audio) below. Each of these audio files, and the corresponding video, needs to be a separate Project in FCPX. But when I append a synchronized clip like this one into a FCPX Project, all of the Blade cuts, markers, separation between the good audio files, etc., disappear.

I can think of several workarounds, such as determining where to split the video and audio again in the Project timelines with my ears and/or looking at the waveforms. But it’s a shame to loose the advantage of the separate audio files showing precisely where I want to split the video.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 29, 2018 at 1:45:08 am

So you open the synchronized clip and edit within it?

Then you add that to a new Project and the info disappears?

Are you sure that it’s not a compound clip at that point, that you could just break apart? Can you show me what the clip looks like after appending to a Project?

Return to posts index

John A. Mozzer
on May 29, 2018 at 3:46:53 am

No, I’m not sure. I just tried it again — appended the sychronized clip to a new project. Please see screenshot.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 29, 2018 at 3:50:15 am

Have you tried copying and pasting instead of appending?

Return to posts index

John A. Mozzer
on May 29, 2018 at 3:46:56 pm

Copying and pasting indeed works! Here’s what happened. Previously, I tried selecting the synchronized clip in the Browser, and Copy under Edit was grey. But if I instead open the synchronized clip, use Select All, and then Copy and Paste into the Project timeline, it works!

I’m all set now! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 29, 2018 at 3:45:51 pm

Now that I am in front of a machine, I think you should copy and paste your sync'd clip in to a new Project.

Here's the original synchronized clip with cuts and markers:

I then select all, Make a new Project (File > New Project) and paste in to it and it looks like this:

You can also select just the material you need from the sync'd clip, and paste in to a new Project.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 29, 2018 at 3:47:56 pm

You can also append the original Sync'd clip in to a new Project, and break it apart (Clip > Break apart items)

Starts like this:

Then I break apart and it looks like this:

Return to posts index

John A. Mozzer
on May 29, 2018 at 3:48:11 pm

Yes, this works! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 29, 2018 at 4:10:33 pm

Cool. Glad your'e up and running.