FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two channel audio = one channel twice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Lewis
Two channel audio = one channel twice
on May 15, 2018 at 7:39:46 pm

Hi all,

Relatively new switcher to X and am really confused by the audio. I recorded on two separate channels (an interview set up with host on lav and the guest on another). I am now trying to fix audio and seeing that FCPX (appears) to have imported only the host channel. When I bring up the inspector, it is showing as dual mono, but it is the same channel, same wave, same everything, twice.

I see a post a few down about what appears to be a similar situation, but not a lot of responses.

Am I missing something basic? I've looked back at audio import preferences and seeing only automatically assign roles and assign iXML name if available, but nothing else.

Help?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: Two channel audio = one channel twice
on May 16, 2018 at 2:08:44 am

What camera are you using? Does it rewrap the files on import as a .MOV file? Do you have another program you can verify the audio channels in? I had a problem with my Canon C200 where FCP would only copy over channel 1 and ignore 2, 3 and 4. But I've never heard of FCP X creating a duplicate channel instead of copying the audio content. That would be really strange.

Another option is to not import and work with the camera original files. Many camera formats can be dragged straight into FCP X without rewrapping.

Return to posts index

Jack Lewis
on May 16, 2018 at 11:07:34 am

Thanks, Brett. Seems to happen with a couple of cameras, but with footage from a Canon XF100 for sure.

And I'm sure I'm about to feel really stupid, but yes, it does appear as it is importing everything as QuickTime files, solving the issue of why I'm only getting "one" channel of audio. Any suggestions on how to fix this as I do the reimport? I know Canon had a plugin for FCP7, but perhaps in my haste to get going with X I didn't research it well enough as it seemed like everything seemed to import fine.

Really appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on May 16, 2018 at 12:09:43 pm

Have you already edited the footage? If so, the remedies would be difficult, because you'd have to replace with a file that FCP X deems is the same exact file.

First, I would make sure you have the Canon XF plug-in for FCP X.

Second, I would try to work with the MXF files directly. Just copy straight off the card and drag into your project. This will prevent a rewrap - which is where I ran into problems with C200 footage.

Third, update FCP X to the latest version you can.

And fourth, you could rewrap with the program called EditReady. While FCP X was not behaving right with C200 footage I used EditReady to rewrap the footage as .MOVs. I needed .MOVs for some other workflow reasons.

Return to posts index

Jack Lewis
on May 16, 2018 at 12:37:09 pm

Hi Brett,

Thanks. I knew I'd feel stupid after this. Didn't even realize Canon XF required a plug-in for X. Was too happy to see footage just coming in natively (so I thought).

Yes, the piece is assembled in rough and as I started to go through to work with audio I noticed the issue. You're right, I'm not sure there's much remedy here. Oh well, only a HALF HOUR PROGRAM!! to now rebuild. ☺ At least I know for moving forward.

Curious on your last note about EditReady. Do you mean rewrap the footage to .mov prior to bringing into FCPX? Wouldn't I be running into the same issue?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]