FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback & editing very slow on new computer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mandy Leonardo
Playback & editing very slow on new computer
on May 9, 2018 at 5:21:20 pm
Last Edited By Mandy Leonardo on May 9, 2018 at 5:21:37 pm

Hi, looking for help to figure out why my playback and editing is so slow on my new computer.

I went from a macbook pro to the air. The processor is 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7. I'm editing on an external drive and turned off rendering during playback. Doing very simple edits...no titles, graphics, etc.

Would love to know what else I should check to figure out why it's running so slow.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
Re: Playback & editing very slow on new computer
on May 10, 2018 at 2:05:34 am

What's the codec? Frame size? How is your external drive connected to your MBA?

K

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on May 10, 2018 at 3:39:05 pm

Codec is Apple Pro Res 422. Frame size I'm working with is 1080x1080 & 1280x720. The drive is connected through the USB port.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
on May 11, 2018 at 3:29:47 am

Hmmm... with ProRes 422 shouldn't be a problem. What is the available RAM on your MBA? The drive is a single, USB 3 self powered drive?
Generally, ProRes 422 on a external RAID would be the best. And 16GB RAM. Can you post a screenshot of your 'About this Mac'? Would like to know what GPU and RAM you are running.
I live in Singapore. Time zone +8GMT, that's why the late replies:)

K

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on May 11, 2018 at 4:31:46 pm

8GB of Ram and not sure what the USB port is but it's whatever is standard that comes on the Air. Here are some screen shots...

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mandy Leonardo
on May 21, 2018 at 9:57:41 pm

Bump. I'm still having these issues. Anyone have any idea how to help? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on May 22, 2018 at 9:12:52 am

[Mandy Leonardo] "I went from a macbook pro to the air...I'm editing on an external drive and turned off rendering during playback. Doing very simple edits...no titles, graphics, etc... figure out why it's running so slow."

Depending on the two computers, it's possible the MBA is just slower. Some MacBook Pros are quad core and all MBAs are dual core.

Another possibility is your external drive is USB 2.0. Those only work at slow USB 2.0 rates, even when connected to a USB 3.0 port. But if it's the same drive you used on the MBP, it doesn't explain that.

You can check the external drive performance by running Black Magic disk test. Be sure to select the external drive in the menus before running it, else it will use the internal SSD Drive. Do that and post your results here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550?mt=1...

Editing ProRes (even at only 1080p) implies a higher I/O rate since the file sizes are about 6x larger than equivalent H264.

You can take a small sample of that project or one clip and create a test library on the internal SSD drive, then check editing speed. If it becomes fast, then it's an I/O problem and the solution is get a faster external drive.

How was your 1080p ProRes material generated? Is it possible it was 4k H264 and you're using ProRes proxies at 1080p? Maybe the FCPX viewer is not switch to proxy and it's trying to edit 4k H264? That would be slow on a MBA.

If the 1080p ProRes came from, say, an Atmos recorder on a DSLR, it should be pretty quick to edit on a MBA, unless it's been hobbled by a slow USB 2.0 external drive.

If there is any uncertainty on the characteristics of the source material, you can examine this with a tool like MediaInfo or Invisor:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file-inspector/id442947586?mt...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]