FORUMS: list search recent posts

Identifying raw footage that has/hasn't been used in your project.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Payne
Identifying raw footage that has/hasn't been used in your project.
on May 9, 2018 at 3:36:41 am

Hey guys,
I've been hitting you all with tons of questions lately and I really appreciate the responses. I'm working with a colorist for the first time and I'm going to send him an XML of my project. He also needs the raw footage to go along with the it, but would appreciate me sending only the raw footage that was actually used in the film and not unused clips. I assume this is easier on his system and would save me storage space on the size of hard drive I need to buy for the transfer.

I've been digging around and I've seen ways to identify in fcpx which clips have been used vs unused within the program, but I'm wondering if there is a way I can see which raw files on my external hard drive haven't been used so that I can avoid copying those over to the new external I'm going to send him....hopefully that makes sense. Do any of you know of such an option in fcpx? Maybe it will give me a text based list of unused/used clips from the external? It would be amazing if there was a fast way to identify or even copy these to another drive in a simple step or two. I've found if tricky to search for this on the web.

Thanks for any info!
glenn

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
Re: Identifying raw footage that has/hasn't been used in your project.
on May 9, 2018 at 7:16:30 am

Google fcpx media management 😉

1. Create new library on your destination hdd. And set the media location to the same hdd or a subfolder in it.

2. Open both source and destination libraries

3. Select the Project you want to send your colorist and from the menu go to File -> Copy Project to and choose your new library

4. Select the new library and in the inspector click "consolidate Media"

5. Create XML from your copied project.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 9, 2018 at 3:42:13 pm

Thanks so much, Marco!

Does this process copy the raw footage from my original hard drive to the new one during step 3? (in addition to the project, of course)

I'm assuming if/when that happens it will copy every bit of raw footage right? If so, will step 4 delete the unused footage from the actual hard drive?

Thanks again!!!

gp

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on May 9, 2018 at 5:49:18 pm

The first step is that only used material is referenced, the second (consolidate) will copy this material to the new library.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 10, 2018 at 10:30:35 pm

Thanks so much, Andreas! I'm gonna try some tests on this tonight.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 19, 2018 at 3:13:02 pm

Update: Things were going fairly well on the media consolidating, however I've hit a snag. I broke the 90 minute film into three reels (roughly 30 minutes each). The first two reels worked pretty well. I just tried to start the third one and I'm getting this message "There is not enough space on drive “DrivenCOLOR” to complete the Consolidate Library Media command."

I'm using an 8TB external hard drive. The first two reels used up around 3.5TB of the 8TB total. The third and final reel is actually the smallest of the three so it should be even smaller as far as total footage used. So I'm looking at a drive that has 4.5TB free out of 8 yet it's telling me that I don't have enough space for to copy over the third reel. Any ideas as to why this is happening or how I can work around it?

Thanks so much!!!
Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 21, 2018 at 4:47:02 pm

So I have three reels that make up the feature film. I've gone through the process above and it's worked great other than the last reel not copying due to "lack of space." Like I mentioned above there should be more than enough free space.

I'm wondering if it's seeing that the new drive has 2/3s of the files already there, but when I click "consolidate media" with the third reel's project newly copied to the new library maybe it's thinking that it's going to have to send all reels 1, 2, and 3 and possibly it thinks it doesn't have enough room for all three when it will actually only need to send over the third and final one. Normally with other copying you'd see a "do you want to replace the current files with the new copied ones." Maybe there's a chance it isn't getting that far and therefore incorrectly thinks it doesn't have enough space.

My current plan is to just delete ALL the footage that has already been copied over (reels 1 and 2), and then copy/"consolidate media" the full new library where all 3 project reel files are now included in the library. (before I was doing them one at a time as they were "copied" to the library file chronologically). Maybe that will get it to work.

I don't like to let the computer/hard drives run when there are thunderstorms so I'm waiting for a long window of decent weather to give it a shot. I figured I'd see if you guys thought that was a bad idea before I tried it. And apologies if my ramblings don't make sense. I'm happy to clarify.

thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]