FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing info transferring from FCPX to Pro Tools

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Payne
Losing info transferring from FCPX to Pro Tools
on May 2, 2018 at 4:55:31 pm

Hey guys,

I'm working with a post sound mixer for the first time on one of my films and we're having some issues getting all my adjustments to transfer to him. I'm making an XML in Fcpx and converting that to an AAF in X2Pro Audio Convert then sending the file to him.

I have poly WAV files for most of the dialogue in my film. When I send him the converted AAF he doesn't have an indicator for the tracks I've muted. We tried lowering the volume (but no deleting) microphone options that aren't my first preference but the lowered volumes don't always transfer to his end. He's requested I mute/lower volumes on tracks I didn't want to use to narrow down the mic options on his end.

I've done several tests to play with the X2Pro settings but nothing seems to be working quite right. Options that are available in X2Pro are (with my current settings)...

*Reference WAV files in place (not checked)

*Trim embedded audio (checked)

Under the preferences option...

*Discard Transisions (not checked)

*Discard Disabled Clips (not checked)

*Discard Inactive Clips (not checked)

*Force embedded audio to 48khz (not checked)

*Convert non-PCM audio to: (set at 16 bit by default I guess)

*Allow collection of usage date (not checked)

*Trim Handles (set at 5 seconds)

*Reference multi-channel WAV files (not checked) Maybe something to this one???

Then there's a few other options on error messages, roles and access to drives. Any ideas as to why the info isn't transferring 100% correctly? Maybe there are some settings within fcpx that I need to mess with?

Thanks for any advice!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Losing info transferring from FCPX to Pro Tools
on May 2, 2018 at 6:43:10 pm

You might try asking here:

https://forum.marquisbroadcast.com

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 2, 2018 at 6:49:52 pm

You might also try a roundtrip through Resolve and see if the translation is any better.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 2, 2018 at 7:42:33 pm

Thanks for the advice, Oliver!

gp

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 2, 2018 at 8:14:14 pm

You have the full version of X2Pro, right? Not LE?

If you want to not send disabled clips, check the option to discard disabled clips. I also discard inactive tracks (this would be channels that are turned off) This is how my prefs are setup:

If you reference multichannel was files, you will have to supply full production audio for relinking on their end.

How have you setup your roles? Did you try assigning different Roles to the less ideal channels? You then set the prefs to "Keep SubRoles Separate" and they will receive those clips marked as "second choices" or whatever you name them in separate tracks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 2, 2018 at 8:54:18 pm

Thanks for the help, Jeremy!

I do have he full version. We've tried some tests but it just takes a bit to send then wait to hear back. Since you may know offhand. What do the X2Pro terms mean exactly in regards to fcpx?

I'm assuming DISABLED CLIPS is self explanatory. Shortcut "V" to disable a clip. then check that box and those won't send.

Do INACTIVE CLIPS refer to audio clips that you've muted in fcpx? So checking that box will keep those from being sent, correct?

I've been trying to find a way to mute multiple tracks in a poly WAV in fcpx then when it's sent to Pro Tools via X2Pro have it show up on his end (in case he needed to use it for some reason) but have it muted so he sees that it isn't my first preference out of the clips. Hopefully that makes sense.

That's a good idea about the roles. I do have them set up on the timeline (could probably use a little work still). I'm curious if it'll let me assign varying roles to audio tracks that are part of the same singular Poly WAV file. An idea that I've been trying to avoid is busting up each poly WAV file and then just manually lowering each piece that I need to. Although, I'd rather avoid that if I can. Seems chaotic when the whole poly WAV files are so tidy in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 2, 2018 at 9:23:41 pm

[Glenn Payne] "Do INACTIVE CLIPS refer to audio clips that you've muted in fcpx? So checking that box will keep those from being sent, correct? "

Inactive clips are channels that you have turned off in the Inspector, which is different from the clips that you have disabled (v key) in the Timeline.

Inactive clips do not show up in the timeline, but you can still choose to send them to ProTools (or not).

Disabled clips are the 'dimmed' clips in the timeline.

[Glenn Payne] "I'm curious if it'll let me assign varying roles to audio tracks that are part of the same singular Poly WAV file."

Yes it will. Just right click on each channel and assign a role, but even then, not sure if you need to do this.

[Glenn Payne] "An idea that I've been trying to avoid is busting up each poly WAV file and then just manually lowering each piece that I need to."

There is no need for this. I think you can do this with either just X2Pro, or setting up different Roles, and then telling X2Pro how to handle them.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 3, 2018 at 12:59:17 am

Jeremy,

Thanks so much for the great information! It's been very helpful.

best,
Glenn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 3, 2018 at 1:09:25 am

Do you have Logic by any chance?

You can check the resulting AAFs from X2Pro in Logic.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 3, 2018 at 1:28:25 am

Unfortunately, I don't. :/

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 3, 2018 at 1:34:34 am

To throw more elements into the mix some of my clips are multi-cam clips connected to Poly WAV audio files. It seems that I am not able to assign roles to those tracks via the inspector. There just isn't an option.

I also have some clips that are compound clips with the Poly WAV files attached. (due to occasionally having to manually sync clips when the camera had no audio). These tracks do give me the option to assign roles when I detach the audio from the video.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 3, 2018 at 1:47:16 am

[Glenn Payne] "To throw more elements into the mix some of my clips are multi-cam clips connected to Poly WAV audio files. It seems that I am not able to assign roles to those tracks via the inspector. There just isn't an option. "

You assign Roles by opening the multicam clip and changing them in the multicam timeline.

Clips in compounds, however, assume the role of the compound clip, so detaching is the way.

You may also need to assign Roles in the timeline, and not the inspector. That will give you a clip by clip, channel by channel option by right clicking.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on May 3, 2018 at 2:46:28 am

Wow. You're the best! Thanks so much for the great info!

gp

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]