FORUMS: list search recent posts

Locking the main story line in fcpx

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Norman
Locking the main story line in fcpx
on May 1, 2018 at 5:11:26 pm

Anyone figure out how to lock the main story line in fcpx? We need to essential put a project into picture lock so the timing can't change.

We're spreading out work on projects for multiple people to do finishing work like color, some vfx, audio, etc. Then we marry the projects back together in the separate pieces. This works 98% of the time but sometimes someone will accidentally change the timing on a project and the magnetic timeline moves everything out of sync when we marry them back together.

My only thought was subclip the storyline, but it doesn't solve anything since the finishers need access to the individual clips.

Any advice? Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Locking the main story line in fcpx
on May 1, 2018 at 10:36:54 pm

There's no real way to lock the timeline, it's be handy at times and definitely worth sending feedback about.

Having said that, I regularly send projects to other people for finishing and have never had an issue - even when sending FCPX projects to other FCPX users - you just have to trust that the people you are giving the project to are professionals who won't change it. I've been using FCPX for a long time and I'd find it hard to accidentally change something and not realise I'd done it.

And while FCPX may not be able to lock the timeline, most of the people I hand off projects to don't tend to use it in their work. Colour grading tends to be in Resolve via XML - and Resolve can lock the timeline before any work starts. Audio goes to Pro Tools or Logic and again, users of those apps can lock the timeline so it's never been a big deal if FCPX can't.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]