FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX changing FPS of Pixel 2 footage, making re-linking to color corrected footage impossible.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dallas Campbell
FCPX changing FPS of Pixel 2 footage, making re-linking to color corrected footage impossible.
on Apr 24, 2018 at 1:21:35 pm

Hi All!

I don't normally work in FCPX, it's got a few quirks that I just don't like. Up until now, I've found workarounds for everything.

So here's my issue:

I've got Pixel 2 footage imported into FCP and I've been editing it. It was shot in 30FPS but each clip has a slightly different framerate. One is 30.04, one is 30.03, another is like 29.98 etc... I wanted to do some color work in Davinci Resolve and just relink to the colored footage in FCP but FCP won't relink different framerates.

The thing is that I exported the colored clips from Resolve matching the clip settings; at 30 fps. Is this a common thing for NLEs to do? Change the framerate slightly and then refuse to relink? I've never encountered it before.

Is there a way to tell FCP that those original clips should be 30 without having to re edit and be able to relink to the colored clips?

Thanks in advance!

Dallas

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX changing FPS of Pixel 2 footage, making re-linking to color corrected footage impossible.
on Apr 29, 2018 at 8:21:37 pm

All consumer media types, like those from smart phones and low-end video cameras and DSLRs, really have to be converted to some sort of optimized media, like ProRes or DNxHD - BEFORE you ever start editing with them. These should be converted with an app that forces proper frame rates. Note that at times this will cause your audio to also run out of sync.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Dallas Campbell
Re: FCPX changing FPS of Pixel 2 footage, making re-linking to color corrected footage impossible.
on Apr 30, 2018 at 2:27:25 am

Thanks for the response, Oliver.

In hindsight that would have been the proper thing to do, yes. That does little to help me now that the piece has been edited. So what you are telling me is that there is no alternative to starting over?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 30, 2018 at 12:33:01 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Apr 30, 2018 at 1:31:09 pm

My suggestion to you would be to export the complete project timeline from FCPX as ProResHQ or ProRes4444. Minus graphics and audio. Bring that into Resolve. Place it on a Resolve timeline and blade the cuts between all clips to create clips. Grade in Resolve and then export a single clip of the timeline as ProResHQ or ProRes4444. Bring that back into FCPX and finish as needed.

You might also see about creating optimized media inside FCPX first and then send that project to Resolve for a roundtrip.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]