FORUMS: list search recent posts

Floating Object Illusion with Moving Camera?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Greska
Floating Object Illusion with Moving Camera?
on Apr 23, 2018 at 5:40:38 pm

Hello,

I'm very new to the forum so apologies first off if I post in the wrong place.

So I'm familiar with (one of) the general concepts of how to make an object appear floating. You take a video with just the background, and then you take a video with the object on the same background suspended by like a string or something, and then you add a layer mask on the string to make it disappear and make the background appear.

My question is, how would you do this with a moving camera? What I mean for example handheld cam style or tracking, the background and the footage won't be in a singular frame, they'll be moving. How do you achieve the same effect? Is it just shoot two well-choreographed videos as similarly timed and tracked as possible and work from there? Or is there a more efficient way to achieve this?

Thank you for any help!
Best,
John

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Floating Object Illusion with Moving Camera?
on Apr 23, 2018 at 6:58:26 pm

People with money solve this problem with a motion-controlled camera setup that can repeat the exact path and camera settings in realtime from take to take.

People with less money use planar tracking to generate the data that then moves the object in synch with the pre-shot background.

Or...make the object in CGI, apply the motion track data to that, build a composite that way.

If you could describe your intended shot in specific detail, I could give you a better answer.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Floating Object Illusion with Moving Camera?
on Apr 23, 2018 at 9:12:34 pm

This is something you’re more likely to do in Motion, After Effects or Fusion than Final Cut but you essentially track points on the background to create motion data, then you apply that same data to the object you’re compositing so that it moves in sync. It’s called “match moving” if you want to google for how-to info.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]