FORUMS: list search recent posts

Desperation Time- corrupt Library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cindy Hill
Desperation Time- corrupt Library
on Apr 19, 2018 at 8:56:37 pm

I am in dire straits. I just inherited an editing nightmare job and am doing my best to work around a major problem. The previous editor was working on an earlier version of FCP X (10.3) as well as an earlier version of OS. I flew down to Florida to work on the revisions for a few days with the director and then headed back home to North Carolina to do some finishing touches. When I got back here, I needed to update the Library as I am running new OS and new FCP. Unfortunately everything got buggy and the Library would not open nor would any of the backups. I am pulling may hair out trying to figure out what to do. The project was working on an earlier version of OS and FCP. Should I try to load that on to a laptop that I have? Is there any kind of way to restore the Library without a backup? Through Package Contents? It makes this grown woman want to weep. I am a Premiere/Avid editor so confess to being over my head when it comes to FCP X file management. I read as much as I could before taking the job but am still playing catch up. Help!
Oh, I am editing on a 27" iMac Pro (2017) with 64 GB RAM and a 3 GHz Intel Xeon W Processor.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Desperation Time- corrupt Library
on Apr 20, 2018 at 1:26:54 am

What exactly happened when you opened the library? Any warnings or messages?

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Apr 20, 2018 at 4:05:16 pm

[Cindy Hill] "was working on an earlier version of FCP X (10.3) as well as an earlier version of OS....I needed to update the Library as I am running new OS and new FCP. Unfortunately everything got buggy and the Library would not open nor would any of the backups...The project was working on an earlier version of OS and FCP. Should I try to load that on to a laptop that I have? Is there any kind of way to restore the Library without a backup? "

I've updated several huge libraries from 10.3.4 to 10.4 without major problems, but it's possible something could go wrong. I always had a complete disk backup in case it failed.

In FCPX there are two types of libraries, managed (which contain the media) and unmanaged (which use external media). The unmanaged type are easy to manually back up and restore at a file level because they are small. The managed type can be difficult to back up using file methods since they are so large. However the FCPX "backups" are supposed to be the project-oriented elements of those, minus the data.

If your iMP has a Time Machine or any other type of backup you could restore the original library from that. What error are you getting? Will the library not open or does that open and an event (aka folder) or project (aka sequence) not open? Is there any possibility the machine or media drive is just out of space?

If the library has been updated it probably cannot be opened except in 10.4.x. If it has not been updated, then 10.3.4 could open it, but you'd need that version of FCPX. It may be too late now, but the easiest way to save that is duplicate the FCPX application file and save it before updating the app version. If you have the previous version on your laptop, at least duplicate and save that in case it's needed and the laptop accidentally gets updated to 10.4 also.

If the library did not really update, in theory you could either (a) connect it to your laptop running 10.3.4 and try to open it or (b) Revert to 10.3.4 on the iMP by copying the .app file from laptop to your iMP, the try to open the library on the iMP using 10.3.4. If the library is stuck in some half-updated state I'm not sure what the results would be.

If I was in a situation like this, before trying anything else I'd make a complete file backup of the current library in case things get worse, that way you at least have the present version.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 22, 2018 at 5:37:24 am

Hi Cindy,

As Jeremy and Joe have indicated, usually updating isn't an issue with X.

X has a number of auto backup systems that it runs while operating such that you seldom lose work in progress.

Its not impossible for things to get corrupt, but it's pretty rare. So don't lose hope.

If you want to setup a Skype session or something similar on a smartphone where one of us can see your screen and help diagnose things, just post a note. Either I or somebody else here might have time to try to help you out over the weekend. Good luck.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]