FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 ingestion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Jones
P2 ingestion
on Apr 19, 2018 at 4:31:22 pm

I finally switch FCP to FCP X and am having trouble with getting media from the card to the browser.

The audio and video streams are not linked but come in as separate files so I cannot trim them together as I had in classic. In classic there were 4 audio files but were linked with the video.

Is there something in preference that is set incorrectly?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rob

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
Re: P2 ingestion
on Apr 19, 2018 at 7:20:22 pm

After a long absence from my HVX-200 - I borrowed another HVX-200A and shot an event.

The first problem was, after importing the hour program, which took more than an hour
over FW 800, so glitch happened and the import dis-appeared!

It turns out there is a problem with something in the flow of the FW 800 - either the camera connector
all the way through the FW 800 to thunderbolt converter.

Well, after the second time, I got the files injested.

Do you import from the camera or do you use P2CMS to ingest the files to your hard drive?

At the file level, the video and the audio channels are all separate, yet somehow FCP X import knows how
to combine them all.

Make a small 1 minute clip and try the different methods of import.

FCP X 10.2.3 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
iPhone 4
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 19, 2018 at 7:42:28 pm

We use P2 on a daily basis here and I NEVER import directly from the card any more: any time I did, trouble weas sure to follow.

I copy the entire card to a folder in my RAID drive first, then eject the card, THEN ingest into FCPX, and I don't get the problem you're seeing. I have a co-worker who is too bullheaded to take my advice, and he DOES see the same problem as you... wonders why none of the clips are in chrono order. I ask him: well, did you click in the list to MAKE them organize in chronological order?

"No", he says. And refuses to try. And he ingests off the card, which sometimes hangs. So I leave him to his devices.

Return to posts index

Robert Jones
on Apr 19, 2018 at 8:09:48 pm

So there is hope. Thank you. I'll give that a try!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 19, 2018 at 8:20:20 pm

It's a "best practice" I learned from Sean. You have a choice when setting up, to keep source files in place wherever they were, or to copy them into the project. Suppose you choose to economize on drive space and tell FCPX to leave files where they are... If you pull from the P2 cards directly, you create an association between the files on those cards and the project file. The project will always want to see those files coming from the same place, i.e. the card in the reader. Then someone comes along and pulls the card to go shoot something else; you can "break" your project and lose the file associations, and you got ketchup all over your file browser and timeline.

Also, your RAID likely has better performance handling those files than the card does. What time you lose offloading it first, you likely gain back later in peppier performance when actually editing. We use thunderbolt P2 readers from Sonnet and they are easily twice as fast as the Panasonic units. And three times cheaper.

So being a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy, if the footage is costly or impossible to replace, I always immediately dub the entire card structure into the RAID and offload a clone to cloud storage as well. If it's particularly one of those: this could make or end your career" things, as soon as I have it ingested, I'll throw it all down raw on the timeline and render out a safety copy in prores 422, before I start the actual edit.

But that's just me. I usually have a Plan B, C AND D. Based on painful experience.

Return to posts index

Robert Jones
on Apr 19, 2018 at 11:21:23 pm

That absolutely fixed the problem. Thanks for the backup recommendations as well.
I appreciate your honesty, and have shared that pain.

Hope you guys have a great week.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]