FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorry to keep bringing this up...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Sorry to keep bringing this up...
on Apr 15, 2018 at 4:53:08 am

I'm looking for someone who was having trouble with FCPX and High Sierra, wondering if you're still having trouble or if the latest upgrades helped.

I'm one of the guys who was having big trouble with High Sierra. Fan started racing. Computer slowed to a crawl. Even light weight codecs were making my MBP choke.

I painfully and laboriously reinstalled Sierra, and my problems went away.

When 10.4.1 came out, it only works on High Sierra. 😱

So I figured enough months have gone by and some updates have come out, I'll try again.

I'm noticing that my fan is spinning more than it has. It hasn't gotten to the point where the computer chokes and slows to a crawl. (I used to watch it get stuck just changing desktops, watching it move in extreme slow motion.)

I'm editing Sony AVC-long G at 50mbs, which has always make my computer work harder.

I'm wondering... anyone who was having trouble with High Sierra, are with the latest updates are you still having trouble with High Sierra? Is it likely that the latest updates fixed whatever problem there was for so many people running High Sierra? I backed up my computer before installing High Sierra earlier this week, but I don't want to restore it one more time if it won't help.

It would be so much easier if Apple was kind enough to admit that certain people were indeed having difficulty with High Sierra, and that they were working on it, or that they had fixed it. Meanwhile I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks.

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
Re: Sorry to keep bringing this up...
on Apr 15, 2018 at 12:11:01 pm

I have High Sierra on my 2012 MBP and was recently editing some Canon XFAVC 50 Mbps and did not have issues with fans spinning up. THat said this codec is not Sony AVC which I have gathered is a bit more difficult/ processor intensive, but still no problems here.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 15, 2018 at 9:48:32 pm

I've never had any issues with any OS update since Lion - but I *always* do a clean install. I see it as a chance to do some virtual housekeeping once every year or so. My advice would be to hold off any update until you can make time back things up and start from scratch.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on Apr 19, 2018 at 7:22:40 pm

I hope you use Carbon Copy Cloner to make perfect backups before you upgrade you system.

FCP X 10.2.3 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
iPhone 4
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]