FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Original Media" in library package same as actual original media?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Feaz
"Original Media" in library package same as actual original media?
on Mar 30, 2018 at 2:37:48 am

I use my libraries to store media. I noticed while unpacking a library in finder that the "Original Media" folder under each event contains .MOV files with the same names and sizes of my actual original media, which is .MP4 (from a Sony).

My question is, are these transcoded, or just rewrapped? Would I be losing anything if I somehow lost the files from the camera and just had left what's in the library package?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: "Original Media" in library package same as actual original media?
on Mar 30, 2018 at 12:23:06 pm

These could be rewrapped or transcoded, depending on the codec. Saying they are .MP4 is only part of the equation. Open one of these in QT Player and check the info. If it's ProRes codec then they were transcoded. You should always separately back up your original camera files for archival purposes.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 2, 2018 at 6:19:38 am

Oliver,
I back up my media cards by dragging the two files that the computer picks up when the p2 card is connected to the computer.

AVC-Intra 100 (1080p30), Linear PCM
FCP X 10.4.
There should be a left and right channels recorded using two different mikes.

FC sees it as four tracks identical. or if stereo 2 identical wave forms.

One of the two mikes is not seen by the iMac and the camera internal mikes are not picked up. Never had this in any other previous version of FCPX. I'm not using high sierra but rather 10.12.6. Does that mean anything?

any advice?

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 2, 2018 at 12:18:33 pm

Not sure what to tell you. Except that based on you original question, I believe FCPX rewraps these, because AVC-Intra is a supported codec.

I would recommend Hedge as a more reliable back-up application for archiving your camera files.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Feaz
on Apr 2, 2018 at 10:51:40 pm

Thanks for info, Oliver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]