FCPX - appears to be imploding....?
Bit of a story here... I am editing in 4K on a late 2015 5k imac. 16gb Ram/Graphics Card - AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB/4 GHz Intel Core i7/3TB storage.
I am editing optimized files. This has never really been a problem. A bit slow sometimes but generally manageable. Plenty of storage and memory available on computer. Libraries are stored externally. Lately a bit of a problem, speed wise, has turned into complete and utter shut down... I initially thought it might have been the ALEX4D adjustment layer I downloaded as most of the problems occurred while trying to add letterbox to the layer. I removed adjustment layer but problem still exists. I deleted preferences but still the same.... And here is the problem... I have been trying to add letterbox effect to adjustment layer(ryan nangle) for the last 2 days. And whats being happening is complete and utter freezing of not just FCPx but the computer also.... forget force quit, nothing works at all. The only way to get out of it is to hold the computer start button till computer shuts down and then restart... I have had to do this at leat 12 times in the last few days up to as many as 20 times. Even the simplest render takes an age if it does'nt completely freeze beforehand. I have not been getting the spinning wheel that much either , mostly the render will just freeze at a given point and stay there.... I recently upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra. Any advice appreciated please keep simple...
Sounds like a connection error to the externally stored Libraries or
the render files/optimized files are corrupted.
Delete the render files/optimized files and
check your cables/connections.
Hope this helps.
. . .
[vidda roshinns] "complete and utter freezing of not just FCPx but the computer also.... forget force quit, nothing works at all. The only way to get out of it is to hold the computer start button till computer shuts down and then restart... I have had to do this at leat 12 times in the last few days up to as many as 20 times."
In general this indicates a hardware or system software issue, not FCPX. Like Windows and other modern operating systems, each process in macOS is totally isolated from other processes and the system. It is normally impossible for an user-mode app to crash or hang the OS, whether by accident or intent.
You should first verify your backups in case the situation worsens. After that you can do the usual troubleshooting steps for cases like this:
- Check your free space on all volumes, esp. the boot drive. If the OS runs out of paging file space that can destabilize the OS and cause a crash or hang. This should be handled gracefully but is not always done.
- Run Disk First Aid on all volumes and verify no errors. Note that prior to High Sierra, you have to run it twice on each disk, once on the physical disk, then spin down the disclosure triangle and run it on the logical volume. Unfortunately First Aid only checks the file system and doesn't do a surface check. A failing hard drive can cause the system to lock up or destabilize. This could be bad block exceeding the retry limit, or a cable or on-board controller failure. First Aid will not catch those. There are various 3rd party drive tests, Disk Warrior is often recommended but I don't remember if it has a surface test. Disks with S.M.A.R.T. will often (but not always) report an error. Therefore another test is unplug as many hard drives as possible which will still allow problem replication. This may require copying a smaller data set to a test library.
- Run Apple Diagnostics. This is a simple test and if it finds no errors that is not a clean bill of health, but if it finds errors there's a definite problem: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731
- Re-install macOS. Unlike Windows, this can normally this can be done without wiping out all your apps, because there's no registry to blow away. However you should have a complete verified backup beforehand, ideally both Time Machine and image backup via Carbon Copy or similar.
- If those steps don't resolve it and diagnostics don't produce errors (and definitely if they do find errors) I suggest making an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar to have overnight bench diagnostic run. They have access to much more rigorous hardware diagnostics which will often find a marginal or transient problem. They can also examine the macOS system log for meaningful errors.
Thanks for the advice... Will take it on board. As an aside, the projects I was rendering/ 4 min video. I exported it as HD & 4K file in mp4. Also as HD & 4K file in pro res 422. All the issues were in the rendering and exporting of these files...Then 'go tobann' they all rendered/exported fairly.... I say 'fairly' quicky considering the previous drama.... Still feel the adjustment layer over the zoom transition effect could be the issue as this definitly slowed it down.. I will go through the recommendations wsugest though.... Thanks Very Much.
Just one additional note if it helps.
Because X is designed to be “resolution independent” - it always tries to apply all its math at the highest precision possible.
When you are working with large files (like the 4K optimized media you note) - it’s quite possible to apply a simple “one click” or perhaps a “drag and drop” process - that launches a MASSIVE amount of needed calculatuons in the background.
For example, tossing noise reduction onto a cross dissolve which itself is trying to marry two high Rez rasters - might require literally billions and billions of calculations as the software calculates pixel values AND tries to look for any noise hidden in the results of such calculations.
I’m not implying that’s the problem here - but rather pointing out that “easy to do” things in the software, may trigger FAR from equally easy to do calculations.
Personally, I f I find that stuff radically slows down, I often take just a couple of seconds of my content, Isolate it. And test the processes I want to apply there.
If it took 2 seconds to process before I applied an effect - but two minutes afterwards (or worse, 20 minutes!) I can rethink my workflow.
Just a suggestion. Good luck.
Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.