FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Archive or not?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Camera Archive or not?
on Mar 19, 2018 at 5:14:07 am

I just received a hard drive of footage, and the photographer put the camera card contents into folders by just copying the card into a folder.

FCPX sees them and can import them just fine. I'm wondering if there is any advantage to creating card archives from these folders and replacing them on the hard drive?

I generally don't use camera archives. Once I import my footage, and FCP rewraps it and puts in into a folder, I make sure my drive is cloned to my backup and nuke the original card.

I think re-importing from the camera archive is very easy, right? But if I have a copy of my imported files, is it really necssary?

Thanks for the help.

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Camera Archive or not?
on Mar 19, 2018 at 10:18:36 am

The whole point of using the Camera Archive function is to capture not just the data files, but the maximum possible upstream metadata available from the mounted card or drive source into a single, all-inclusive digital Archive.

If someone has already dragged the individual files from the camera source volume structure into folders, that process may well have broken the links to some or all of any upstream metadata on the original cards.

And if so, it’s long gone, now.

It’s so easy to work from direct camera card clones today, that when people don’t, it always shocks me.

YMMV.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]