FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X Consolidate Not Working

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
FCP X Consolidate Not Working
on Mar 14, 2018 at 4:25:01 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Mar 14, 2018 at 4:30:17 pm

So this is the way I want to work. I make an edit in a FCP X Project. I may pull clips from other Library files. I want to leave the files in place until I'm finished. Then once I have a finished edit, I want to Consolidate all the files I used into the folder I've designated in the Library Storage Locations.

I thought the "Consolidate" button would do this. It doesn't. In fact, it seems to do nothing. No files are copied. Nothing happens. What is going on here. How can I get it to do what I want?

Before Consolidate:

After Consolidate:

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP X Consolidate Not Working
on Mar 15, 2018 at 10:26:17 am

Can you give exact steps, as this process should work.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 15, 2018 at 12:36:49 pm

Yeah it worked at one time. I don't know if it has anything to do with SMB storage. I mean it's pretty simple.

I set up a new library. Create an external media folder. Set that as the storage location for Media and Cache. Then I import new footage into that folder.

Then if I need to grab a shot from another library I open that library and copy and paste or insert a clip in my project timeline. I keep preferences at "Leave files in place" because I don't want to copy the media over at this point.

Then once I'm finished. I just simply hit the "Consolidate" button and wait for the magic to happen. It doesn't, it seems to copy a single file or something that takes about 10 seconds then stops. All the media remains where it is. Even if I change the preference to "Copy files to storage location". Which I shouldn't have to do anyways.

I've even tried exporting an XML of the timeline. Importing the XML into a new library. But no dice. Still no files get copied.

At this point are there any products that will do this outside of FCP X.

Brett Sherman
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 15, 2018 at 12:40:05 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Mar 15, 2018 at 12:40:35 pm

Actually what I really want is a utility that will look at an XML file. Allow me to set a folder location. Then only copy files that are not on the same drive as that folder because I just want it on the same drive. It doesn't have to all be in the same folder. But I'd be happy if the Consolidate function actually worked.

Brett Sherman

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 15, 2018 at 2:03:20 pm

This process works for me so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t work for you. Perhaps it is SMB, I don’t know.

Can you push media to the second library? So, create your new library, open the old library, select clips and “File > Copy to...”?

Otherwise, there’s media copy from automatic duck that will consolidate an xml.

http://www.automaticduck.com/#media-copy

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 15, 2018 at 8:21:09 pm

Brett,

I made a little utility which lists all AV files from any XML - project, event, lib. Drag any of those to the app window's table view or import an XML
You can select a drive and it will list the missing ones. It can do more, but there's no documentation.
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/X-Asset/XAU.dmg
It's free.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]